• Hello Fabrik Community

Fabrik is now in the hands of the development team that brought you Fabrik for Joomla 4. We have recently transitioned the Fabrik site over to a new server and are busy trying to clean it up. We have upgraded the site to Joomla 4 and are running the latest version of Fabrik 4. We have also upgraded the Xenforo forum software to the latest version. Many of the widgets you might have been used to on the forum are no longer operational, many abandoned by the developers. We hope to bring back some of the important ones as we have time.

Exciting times to be sure.

The Fabrik 4.0 Official release is now available. In addition, the Fabrik codebase is now available in a public repository. See the notices about these in the announcements section

We wish to shout out a very big Thank You to all of you who have made donations. They have really helped. But we can always use more...wink..wink..

Also a big Thank You to those of you who have been assisting others in the forum. This takes a very big burden off of us as we work on bugs, the website and the future of Fabrik.

Ajax validation never ending in Forms

So you as an Admin user you only want to see your Answer group in the back-end and not the front-end?

I would imagine that this is the cause of the errors. You have added a test in your template to remove the Answer Group HTML, but you have not done what is needed to remove references to this group and its elements in the code block!!

It seems to me that a better way to deal with this would be to use an onLoad JS action on the first element in the Answer group, and in custom JS to test the URL to see whether it starts domain/index.php (front end) or domain/administrator/index.php (back end) and show or hide the Answer group accordingly.

I also think you should also use the Special Viewing Access Level for the Answer group and its Elements instead of your bespoke Viewing Access Levels in order to keep your configuration simple and as close to default as possible.

Since the cause of the HTML bugs is likely to be your template, I don't think that there are any php errors to fix in Fabrik itself.

S

Sorry, I'm getting confused as I was told a long time ago to use Fabrik from frontend and not backend when dealing with applications because not all displays are possible in backend.
Backend should be reserved for developpment purposes.

So in my Frontend, when I'm logged as FabrikAdmin, a custom Fabrik menu appears, allowing me to manage my Fabrik list of contacts.
I do not use backend. Thus my URLs never display /administrator/...
I am annoyed by the fact that if I go to the Contact form I'm not able to see it like Public (without Answer group and IP adress element)
I would like a Contact form like Public and a managing List as FabrikAdmin.

Are you sure hiding a group is the best way ? somebody with Firebug can modify these infos before posting ?

If you don't use the back-end and you are not showing the Answer group on the front-end, why do you need the Answer group at all?

This all seems very complicated when you could instead have a Contact form which sends you an email and then both you and the other person can use normal email replies to continue the conversation.

However, if you still want to follow this route, I am suggesting that:

1. You set Contact group access to Public, Answer group access to Special, Contact elements to Form (add / edit) Public, Answer elements to Form (add / edit) Special.

Public users will only get the Contact group in their HTML - Answer group will not be in the HTML at all.

Admin users will get the both Contact and Answer group in the HTML, but the Answer group will be hidden initially. (I have found a setting in Group which does this without you adding any JS.)

Since only Admin users will have the Answer group in HTML, and these are trusted users (i.e. yourself), I don't see any security issues here.

S

Thanks it's clear.
I'm using the Answer group in frontend for FabrikAdmin.

Since only Admin users will have the Answer group in HTML, and these are trusted users (i.e. yourself), I don't see any security issues here.
According to this I can use the code of my 7th post which will hide Answer group to the Admin when he's looking the public Form ? It doen't fires errors as the elements are in the form.

All this stuff is because :
  • All is fine for Public
  • But for Admin, I would like that he sees Public + Admin in the Admin part of the site, and ONLY Public when he looks in the Public part of the site (ie : Contact Form).
For this it would be fine to have an ACL distinction in Fabrik like "this Group AND Super Users" and this Group STRICTLY !
Does it makes sense ?
Then I wouldn't need a template !

No - this does not make sense.

Try creating a Viewing Access Setting of None attached to no User Groups, and set Answer elements Form (add) to None and Form (edit) to Special.

The Contact form is a new record Form Add. Editting an existing record is a Form Edit.

Yes I know that.
It could be so simple this way, but :
  • the Answer group detail is showed, with no elements
  • some elements to be hide to the Admin are ReadOnly but still displayed (IP_Address, Status)
I had a very old thread where people told me that it's normal.
So I decided to hide them templating....
You can see the result on my test site (not logged & logged)

Do you have Answer group Access set to Special (or whatever Viewing Access Level you are using for the admin-only display)?

Yes,
like posted before, I have FabrikAdminForm affected to Admin users and FabrikAdminHidden affected to nobody.
some elements to be hide to the Admin are ReadOnly but still displayed (IP_Address, Status)
are affected to FabrikAdminHidden when "Form Add"
When not logged-in, on the Public Form everything is OK (only needed elements are displayed and usable)
When logged-in as Admin, the Public Form looks like :
Capture.PNG
you can see IP ans Status elements that I do now want to see (like for Public)
and Group details which are displayed [there are no Form Add and Form Edit ACL possibilities]

Ok - I have given my opinions on what you should do to simplify it. Your Answers element settings (in the earlier screen shot) are the opposite of what I think they should be.

If you try what I suggested, and it still does not work, I can try to help further. But if you insist on keeping it this complicated, I don't think I can help further.

PR-1143 has now been merged to give graceful error handling - and though it does still need a minified version to be merged before it is production ready, if you set DebugJS in Fabrik debug options, it should work from Github for you.

To summarise the diagnosis of this error:
  1. The bespoke template created by Incremental tested for a specific group and avoided creation of the HTML for this group. However the Fabrik code block (which is not created in the template) was still containing these groups and elements, and this was triggering various crashes in Fabrik's javacript that was expecting these elements to exist, hence the symptoms in the initial post (e.g. stuck spinners).
  2. PR-1143 added additional error checking the form.js in order to limit the impact of these situations, avoiding javascript crashes and providing javascript console messages as needed instead.

Note: I think it is likely that Incremental's requirements could be met by correct use of Access settings at Group and Element level, without requiring a special template or any code changes, and without requiring any additional Viewing Access Levels to be created in Joomla. It would be helpful if Incremental could summarise the final outcome once he has resolved this.

Thanks Sophist for your work.
Using my bad template doesn't give an error.
Apart of that, I modified it to hide elements instead of dropping them.

I now try again to stick to ACL solution, but the rendering is not satisfying, as elements affected with a group containing no one are visible and read-only :
Capture.PNG

I respected all your recommendations and don't see how to solve this !!!

Well, if you don't mind me having a play with your site, I will try to make it work, and if it is configured correctly but is not displaying correctly I will try to diagnose the bug and fix it.

Thanks a lot Sophist !
It's for the moment a test site. You can play with it.
I'll be happy to learn what I've done wrong and will write a tuto, as I'm trying to deal with this, since a year and it's stopping my projects.
Thanks again.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back