fabrik 3.0 CSV Menu type question

darkroast

According to this link: http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/export-to-csv-without-using-dialog/ if you want to make a menu item to download, you should use the menu type CSV for fabrik 3.0. However, there is also a section for Fabrik 2.0 which tells you how to specify a lot of options using an XML file. You can select things like whether to export the raw fields, use filters, and so on; you can also specify which specific fields you want to export using params on the URL.

So: is there an equivalent way of doing this in Fabrik 3.0? If so, how?

In list settings Publishing/CSV select "Front end options"=no, then the export is done without user input with all the options you are setting here.

This I knew; maybe I misunderstood the way 2.x worked.

What I thought it did was to allow you to set up multiple sets of parameters for an export, so that you could create several CSV Export links in a menu, each with a different set of parameters.

In other words, say a list has five fields: field1, field2, field3, field4 and field5. One of my users would like a link where he cn download field1, field4 and field5, and another wants field1, field2 and field5. If I select the fields in the publishing / CSV and set Front End options = No, the users will only be able to download the list the same way.

Conversely, if I set Front End Parameters to Yes, they can of course pick the parameters and fields they want, but there's two problems with this. First, I can't set defaults - for instance, to do a regular CSV instead of an Excel-format CSV. It always defaults to the Excel-fotmatted version. And the table itself has about 100 fields; the default is to select all of them, but the people who needs these downloads really only need a couple of those fields. So they have to "UNselect" anything they don't want to see.

Second, and (to us) more important, the users really don't want to (and in some cases aren't really technical-minded enough to even be able to) make all those selections. It'd be perfect if I could set up individual parameter sets which I can attach to a particular link. Then, for that user, it's a one-click "goof proof" operation to download the list he wants.

I know I can also create multiple copies of a list, and set up specific export parameters for each with "Front End Parameters=No" but I was hoping I was missing some easier way to do it. I had thought that the XML file in the 2.x version allowed you to have different XML files for different purposes; maybe that's not so true.

Beyond the multiple copies of a list idea, is there any other way to do this?

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back