Dynamic sorting on calc element

dimoss

Hi

I have a calc element using a query to show the data on the fly (Only calc on Save = NO) from another table.
Is it possible to make it sortable? I clicked to allow ordering but it doesn't work.
Is it normal?

Thanks.

That depends entirely on whether your calc'ed data has been saved or not. Regardless of the "Only calc on save" setting, we always save the calc'ed value when submitting a form. That setting controls whether we then re-calc on the fly when displaying, or just use the saved value.

If you are using rows where you added a calc element AFTER the rows were created, and some or all of your rows have not been submitted through a form since adding or changing a calc, then the value will not exist in the table, or might be wrong.

If the values are not in the table, then we can't order on them, as that's done in the query with an ORDER BY statement. And we can't do the ordering in PHP after selecting, because in order to handle pagination, that would mean selecting every row in the table (potentially millions), performing your calc on every row, ordering in PHP, then grabbing the 20 (or whatever) we need form the ordered data. Which would be insanely slow, versus just applying an ORDER BY with a LIMIT and selecting the 20 rows we need.

What you will probably have to do, is work out the SQL query to "prime" your calc'ed values in the database by hand. So if your calc was (say) "return (int)'{mytable___foo}' + (int)'{mytable___bar}';", then you'd run a query like "UPDATE mytable SET mycalc = foo + bar".

You would then have a table where the mycalc field is up to date. And as long as the data you are using to calculate mycalc only ever changes through submission of that form, then the data should stay in sync from then on. Adding new rows and editing existing ones through the form will update the values of the calc in the table, so it'll be usable for ordering in a query.

-- hugh

Hi Hugh

Thanks for the fast reply.

In fact I created the calc filed after all the rows of this table had been created the data was empty grabbing the values on the fly from the other table.
What you propose is to run an UPDATE query on db level to "fill" this calc field with the values and then put the "Only calc on save" setting to yes in order to have everything synchronized even if I edit or add new rows in the future and also be able to have the ordering normally. Am I right?

Thanks again

Correct. Although the "Only calc on save" doesn't affect the ordering. That just controls whether we re-calc the value or not after we've already done the query with the ordering, and do the rendering of the elements for display. It's obviously more efficient not to do that, but the option is there for a variety of reasons - like whether the calc code you have uses values which might get changed independently of the form being saved.

But yeah, if your calc is just taking values from the same row of the same table the calc is on, and you've "filled" the table with the query by hand, then you can turn "Calc on save only" to Yes, to save the overhead of re-calcing on display.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back