Scope is suitable?

imagebox

I noticed in the documentation that the team could review a projects suitability for Fabrik. I'm a seasoned Filemaker developer, but would like to build a web app with Fabrik.
Here it is:
The app is a printed graphic assest management and ordering system.

1.The solution is to be web-based , and possibly iPad-friendly.

2.There are a couple of divisions, which will have separate log-ins so they see their own information, orders, quotes etc

3.There are hundreds of existing graphic items which will be imported into the database.
These will be viewable and selectable to go to print, with selectable finishing options.

4. There will be provision to indicate whether new artwork is needed, will be supplied, or Image Box is to create the artwork.

5. The will be provision to upload artwork.

6. Ability to request quotes for production, review and approve quotes.

7. Ability to review and approve artwork, with comments.

8. Once all is approved for a given item, move it to a ?Master order list?

9. After the item is installed, it?s status can be changed to ?Finalised?

10. Unique individual log-ins so final approvals and orders are linked to a user.

11. Unique department log-ins so users from a given department can see relevant activity / orders.

12. Ability to retain a viewable / searchable database of current inventory.

13. Ability to make incremental price increase across all graphic items.

14. Show running totals for each department (4-5 departments) and subsets of graphic types (4 types)

15. Ability to create new ?departments? and users.

I'm excited to know if Fabrik is appropriate for this..I suspect so, if we can calculate cumulative totals from a set of records.

Cheers,

Robert Rae

Although that all looks do-able, it would require some custom coding, and maybe some modification of your requirements to avoid some of the tougher custom issues. Like 8. Moving rows between lists is not something we support out-of-box. But that would usually behandled by leaving it in the same list (table), and having a "finalized" flag element, which you can use as a pre-filter, and have two copies of the List, one which only hsows finalized items.

By "current inventory", are you talking about actually tracking counts of printed graphics, or simply the avilable digital imagary? Actualy inventory tracking is not a trivial thing to do, and requires a fair amount of work.

Bottom line, this is a complex app for a first time Fabrik app, and you would require a fair amount of support. Our Pro sub would go some way towards it, but I think you would be best served finding someone who can take this on as a custom job, or go with a Pro sub and we can negotiate on some additional hourly based rates for the parts that go above and beyond subscription work.

-- hugh

Hi Hugh,

thanks for the full and frank reply...I have a bit of a time constraint, so I'll build in Filemaker initially as I'm familiar with it.
The "inventory" is simply what's available to choose from.
The item 8 thing would be handled as you say, with a filtered list.
I'll persevere with the Fabrik solution, just might take more time.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers, Rob.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back