Add/Delete group quirks

Bauer

There are a few quirks with the add/delete button group for adding or removing repeat groups in a form.

I have a form that has almost 90 elements in joined repeat group. Not all elements are displayed at the same time - usually about 20 or so, depending on the 'facility type' selected (see attachment). The form_xx.js file does the processing to determine what elements are to be shown for the selected facility type (among other things), and that code can take as long as 5 seconds to complete.

What has always irked me is that a spinner does not show immediately when the Add button is clicked. To compound the issue and frustration - if you aren't careful to be sure you don't move the mouse while clicking the Add (+) button, the button will be dragged out of place while the mouse button is down - and then, when you release the button nothing happens at all.

When an attempt to click the add+ button does 'take', I takes over 5 seconds to render the new repeat group. I suppose that is because the repeat groups are not cloned and all 90 elements in the group need to be reset to default values when a repeat group is created. But because that drag/drop issue can happen without even really noticing it (the average end-user really has no idea what just happened) - it's hard to know if you actually clicked the add button or not. (Or did you just drag and release the icon/button with no 'click' function triggered???) Sometimes it will take a user 2 or 3 tries.

Javascript and Ajax are not my forte' (I just learned how to use the 'User Ajax' feature last week) - else I'd try to figure out a permanent solution on my own. The big thing would be to display the spinner as the very first thing when the add button is clicked - so that at least you know the ajax is working.

Today I found a simple temporary fix for the drag/drop issue until someone who knows what they're doing with that code can fix the buttons so they are not draggable. (I figure that while I'm whining about all this, I could at least pass on a quick hack fix for the drag/drop issue. )

Code:
/// Prevent drag of hyperlink object/image (i.e. add/delete button) when clicked ///
jQuery(document).on("dragstart", function(event) {
     if (event.target.tagName.toLowerCase() === "a") {
          event.preventDefault();
     }
});

Another minor issue is that the dimming (opacity) is not being reset. If you look at my attachment (repeatGroups.PNG) you'll see that the 'Breakout' group (named h4 Nursing - Breakout 2) that contains the add+ button that I clicked to trigger the add event gets its opacity reset correctly. The rest remained dim.

BTW - If anyone's confused by that template - it's just a slightly tweaked 'bootstrap_tabs' template, where I eliminated the 'checkerboard' table look that comes with fixed widths and allow the elements to display right after each other as fluid inline-blocks. I also added another div between the fabrikSubGroup and the fabrikSubGroupElements div to act as a header that could be used to hold the 'Breakout' name of that repeat group and act as a link to toggle display of the fabrikSubGroupElements (form).

repeatGroups.PNG

It's flaky at best and I had reported a couple of these earlier. I've been told this is changing in 4.0, so it may not get much attention in the interim.

Dale

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back