• Hello Fabrik Community

Fabrik is now in the hands of the development team that brought you Fabrik for Joomla 4. We have recently transitioned the Fabrik site over to a new server and are busy trying to clean it up. We have upgraded the site to Joomla 4 and are running the latest version of Fabrik 4. We have also upgraded the Xenforo forum software to the latest version. Many of the widgets you might have been used to on the forum are no longer operational, many abandoned by the developers. We hope to bring back some of the important ones as we have time.

Exciting times to be sure.

The Fabrik 4.0 Official release is now available. In addition, the Fabrik codebase is now available in a public repository. See the notices about these in the announcements section

We wish to shout out a very big Thank You to all of you who have made donations. They have really helped. But we can always use more...wink..wink..

Also a big Thank You to those of you who have been assisting others in the forum. This takes a very big burden off of us as we work on bugs, the website and the future of Fabrik.

Radius search

joit

Hi!
I've been working with the radius search lately. While the use with a desktop computer is ok, it is hardly usable with a mobile device. The Popup doens't scale to the device and I don't think popups are a good idea at all on mobile devices. Since Google made mobile friendlieness a ranking factor, the radius search should be optimized I think. What do you think you could be done ybout that? There are some other small issues with radius search, too. (I have a recent GitHub update)
1. reset filters doesn't seem to reset radius search
2. radius search with "my Location" doesn't seem to work
3. it would be great to choose the default method of radius search (Geocode / My Location, ...)
4. If there are 2 radius search plugins enabled, only the second works reliably
5. When Typing in the Geocode field, I often get the error "Geocode was not successful for the following reason: ZERO_RESULTS". Reason could be "Geocode as you type" but this error doesn't come up that often with the googlemap plugin. The Message is very cryptical for the end user and isn't translated. What could be done about this?
Greets
Hannes

Thought I'd replied to this one.

Re popup / mobile. *HUGE SIGH* We moved the radius search into a popup because everyone hated our original design, which used an expanding div, rather than a popup. Not sure how this affects Google's rankings and the Mobilepocalypse though, as filtering shouldn't be relevant in that? All Teh Goog should see is a button, which shouldn't affect their decision making?

Reset filters, hmm, that should work, I'll take a look.

Can confirm My Location doesn't seem to be working, will take a look.

Specifying the default would be nice, I'll see if that's a quickie.

Multiple radius filters almost certainly won't work, we put a huge amount of effort into trying to get them to work, but it's hugely problematic, and I doubt we'll have the time any time soon to revisit that, if more problems have crept in.

I personally never use "geocode as you type", simply because I know how fragile that code is, LOL! I'll see if I can induce that error, and if so, convert it into something more user friendly.

-- hugh

well, about the popup, please see the attched screenshot. That's how radius search opens up on my mobile. The size of the popup is just not correct. It should adapt to the screen size. I think this could be done with some canvas command. I tried to figure it out by myself but I couldn't get it to work. Here is a document from Google about this problem
https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/insights/SizeContentToViewport
Multiple radius searches worked great with a Fabrik 3.0.9 GitHub update, you can check it here:
http://www.beiladen.com/index.php/en/tours
so I hope this is just a small thing that crept in ;)

thanks for your efforts, this is very important for my site.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-02-08-55-39.png
    Screenshot_2015-06-02-08-55-39.png
    427 KB · Views: 284
About the popup:
It's fairly hardcoded with table and inline styles, but can be adapted with

Code:
/*radius search responsive*/
.fabrikWindow.modal {max-width:100%!important;left:0!important}
.fabrikWindow.modal .contentWrapper {max-width:100%!important;}
.fabrikWindow .radius_search table.radius_table {table-layout:fixed;max-width:100%}
.fabrikWindow .radius_search table.radius_table td:first-child {width:70px;}
in custom_css.php in your list template

The sizing / responsiveness wouldn't be that hard to change, it's the "not using a popup at all" from the OP which would be tough to change.

Best approach for the CSS would probably be to wrap some media queries on max-width around that code and just put it in the main CSS.

-- hugh

Well, sizing the popup to the screen, would be a good "workaround" for me!
What I think is bad about the popup is that if it's closed, you can't see what you entered any more.

You don't need mediaqueries, overriding the fix 500px width with max-width:100% is working fine on my Samsung

hi guys,

I'm a little worried about this issues because I didn't get an answer for longer than a week instead of the promised 1 day forum response time. I fact it's been 3 weeks ago that I started this thread and there is no fix in sight. I really need this
If there are 2 radius search plugins enabled, only the second works reliably
issue because otherwise I can't upgrade my site.
Can you please tell me what's going on here?

Thanks
Hannes

Which bits are mission critical?

Anything to do with multiple radius filters is unlikely to get fixed. As I said we spent weeks working on that for someone else, it's a horribly difficult thing to do, and if that work we did is now broken for some reason we're unlikely to be able to get it going again in any kind of short term time frame, unless someone is funding the work.

I need to go take a look at my code again, see where I'd gotten to with the other issues, when the hypothyroidism (just diagnosed last week) finally shut my brain down a week or two ago. I've been taking the thyroid meds for about 5 days now and my brain is slowly coming back to life

-- hugh

OK, I think I've tracked down why the Clear Filters doesn't work. And sho' nuff, it was to do with our attempts to get multiple filters going last year. Still working on a working fix for that.

Are you doing AJAX-ified pagination / filtering?

-- hugh

NOTE TO SELF - it's where we do the injectIntoListForm() in radius-list.js, to re-add the window's DOM elements to the form prior to submission (and after hitting Clear Filters), but we're not checking to see if the window actually got removed from the form in the first place, and that's tough if we are going to try and figure it for multiple filters.

So what happens is we end up with multiple radius-filter-is-active[] hidden elements, which borks the testing thereof when applying / building the filters.

-- hugh

I'm sorry for your hypothyroidism , I know this can screw one around.

Did you put that CSS Troester gave you in your custom CSS?
I put his code here
/150401/components/com_fabrik/views/list/tmpl/bootstrap/custom_css.php
but I think it's not 100% correct. I attached a screenshot of my mobile. Wouldn't it be better if that styling/responsive thing would go into fabrik itself instead of my custom.php?

The mission critical issue is the multiple (2) radius searches. I can't upgrade to J3 without it. Is it really so hard to fix? Please pm/email me about additional costs. I can't believe a once working feature is now gone... And "reset filters" is kinda mission critical, too ;)

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-16-11-43-42.png
    Screenshot_2015-06-16-11-43-42.png
    422.5 KB · Views: 253
Yes, it would be better to just put the CSS in to our main template CSS, but first we need to make sure we get the styling right ... hence having you test it, as you would seem best placed to let us know when it's working right.

I'll create a custom CSS on my test case and take a look, back in a few ...

-- hugh

OK, the map width issue is because that's being set as a specific style attribute on the map div (style="width:400px; height: 275px;"), as part of the PHP rendering. So I guess we need to move that into CSS as part of the class. Looking at doing that now.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back