Accent characters causing search challenges

rgreen

we have a spanish language site and have the Fabrik search plugin enabled.

Our fabrik table has the following data: Y Tu Mam? Tambi?n
Searching for "Y tu mama" finds no record
searching for "Y tu mam" finds the record so obviously the accent is the issue.

Any solution?

Thanks...

RG

Hi All,
hate to be a pain here. But we are developing a commercial app using Fabrik and have subscribed at a Professional level to get assistance. If I need to pay someone more, let me know. A simple acknowledgement that this has not been addressed but will get to it in XX days would be better than being ignored for 2 plus weeks.

thanks

Is searching for "tu mam?" working?

I assume it's case insensitve but not "accent" insensitive.

I've pointed your thread to the developpers.

yes "tu mam?" is working so it is case insensitive but not "accent" insensitive.
I did find a thread in the general Joomla site about accents http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=193373

I've solved the problem of search not working correctly when using accents. This problem was caused by the JCE editor. Once I changed the "Entity Encoding" in JCE Editor Configuration from "Named" to "Raw" and re-saved the translations in Joomfish, translations that contained accents started to work in the Search results.
And I am using JCE (the encoding is set for UTF-8). I changed my joomla editor to "no editor" and added the same record with accents and it still did not come up in the search results.

thanks...

sorry to re-post so soon. I added a standard Joomla article with " Y Tu Mam? Tambi?n" as the title and the search correctly finds the joomla article with or without the accents but the Fabrik record still is "accent sensitive". So Joomla articles are found but Fabrik records are not found.

As far as I can see Fabrik's Joomla search is using Fabrik's "search all" which is doing the same "accent and umlaute" sensitive search (debug search all is showing WHERE ( LOWER(`baustelle`.`feld`) regexp LOWER('p?') ) which is finding "p?" but not "pa" and vice versa).

A single element "field" search is finding "pa" and "p?" (WHERE ( `baustelle`.`feld` LIKE '%pa%' )

Sorry, haven't had time to do any work on this. It's a really complex issue, and trying to find a way of modifying this behavior without breaking backward compatibility is tough.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back