Addition of new dbjoin element is causing data to wipe

chozma

Hi all,

Bit of an interesting one this, hope you might be able to shed some light on what could be going wrong... :confused:

I have a list called Animals which is the lynch pin of my database/website. It joins with three other tables (Mobs, Events and Treatments), has all sorts of pre-filters on it and 11 elements of its own.

Last week I added a new element (number 12) to the Animals list. It is a dbjoin element which links to another table called Breeds and I have 'Add option in front end' set to yes.

Anyway, now when you save the Animal form it is deleting some of the data from a record in the Mob list, which is joined to the Animals list. The record is still there, its just that some of the elements are being changed to 0 or empty. It didn't used to do this before the addition of the new dbjoin element.

I did a couple of other small changes on the same day as adding this new element but this mostly involved adding 'back' buttons to my forms. If I disable the dbjoin element it hasn't solved the problem. If I get rid of the back buttons, same thing, it isn't fixing the problem. It is still misbehaving and wiping data.

Do you have any suggestions as to why this might be happening - might this be something you have come across before? Anything I could try to debug it?

Thanks,
Hannah

Oh yeah, had another thought. The data that is wiping is a group, so could be something to do with that?

In terms of access settings it is currently set to public. I probably need to change this as you should only be able to use this part of the website if you are a subscribed member.

In terms of layout, screenshot attached.

layout settings.PNG

Thanks Hugh, I will drop you a personal message shortly with the login details and what to look for. :D

Thanks for all your help with this Hugh. I've got the problem fixed thanks to your advice.

I'd be interested to know though, is there an easy way to hide a group only when a record is being edited? So not every time, not when something new is being created.

I've come up with some code that I've put in the form template that finds out if there is an id (primary key) for the record. If there is no id I assume the user is creating a new record. If there is an id I assume the user is editing a record. The code seems to work, but it always worth asking if you have a neater way of doing this.

Thanks,

Hannah

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back