• Hello Fabrik Community

Fabrik is now in the hands of the development team that brought you Fabrik for Joomla 4. We have recently transitioned the Fabrik site over to a new server and are busy trying to clean it up. We have upgraded the site to Joomla 4 and are running the latest version of Fabrik 4. We have also upgraded the Xenforo forum software to the latest version. Many of the widgets you might have been used to on the forum are no longer operational, many abandoned by the developers. We hope to bring back some of the important ones as we have time.

Exciting times to be sure.

The Fabrik 4.0 Official release is now available. In addition, the Fabrik codebase is now available in a public repository. See the notices about these in the announcements section

We wish to shout out a very big Thank You to all of you who have made donations. They have really helped. But we can always use more...wink..wink..

Also a big Thank You to those of you who have been assisting others in the forum. This takes a very big burden off of us as we work on bugs, the website and the future of Fabrik.

Cascading Dropdowns lose selections after validation

nbradshaw

I have 1 DB join, then 2 Cascading dropdowns linking to the DB join element. Then I have 2 more cascading dropdown elements watching the 1 of the other 2 cascading dropdowns.

Everything works fine except when validation occurs. After I choose submit - it looses most of the selections that were made.

I am running latest GitHub as of today 11/30/15. I have also tried on 3.3.4 and it does the same thing.

This is on a private network - but I have provided a screen capture below:

Link to video capture: http://somup.com/coXvFLriI

Confirmed.
A multi-select CDD watching a multi-select CDD has lost the selections after a failed validation.
In my case the 2nd multi-select shows ALL records of the "Data" list.

I strongly suspect this will be an absolute pig to fix, and I can't give any kind of ETA or even a promise that it can be fixed. I'll take a look, but I think I already know what the issues are.

-- hugh

Thanks Hugh. I kinda anticipated this answer - I knew this one would be tricky. If you can think of any work-arounds...please let me know...thanks.

It's on my long list of things to look at it my Copious Spare Time <tm>.

Honestly, I wouldn't hold your breath. This is a long running issue, which affects other "repeated join" element, like the tags element. I've spent many hours chipping away at it, to the point where I understand the issue, but not to the point where I have a clear idea of how to work round the issues.

The only way it'll get done quicker is if one or more people fund us to work on it.

-- hugh

Hi hugh - we are interested in funding this effort to fix this bug - can you please explain the process? Is there a way to get a quote?

Thanks -

We don't really have a "process", it's something we're struggling to come up with a process for.

The problem is, as Fabrik has matured over the years, and we've dealt with most of the easier issues (the "low hanging fruit") the issues we now get are either just little day to day fixes, or the really hard ones. Like this. And we just don't have a way of giving a fixed estimate - it's a Catch 22 ... if we understood the problem well enough to quote for a fix, we'd know enough to have fixed it already. Bugs like this can sometimes take dozens (and dozens and dozens) of hours to track and fix. And we understand that nobody can really fund us to that extent to fix one bug, on a standard hourly rate. But ... we just can't continue to expend that level of time and effort on corner cases for free.

Typically with this kind of bug, if I can dedicate half a day (or night) to it, where I can take the phone off the hook, ignore the forums, and just focus on it, I'll either get it fixed, or have a much better idea of what it will take, or if it can even be fixed. It's rare to find something that can't be fixed, but it's always a possibility (to quote the Myth Busters, "failure is always an option").

So ... what do you think is a fair approach?

-- hugh

Thanks hugh. I am sure this bug is not going to be fun for you to track down and fix...but I appreciate your willingness to take it on...if you can send me an invoice for the half day approach - we will get you paid so you can start working. There is also some custom work that we are probably interested in seeing if you can help us with also...but more to come on that.

Please just send to my email in my profile...

OK. I've got a couple of jobs I'm overdue on right now, but I should be clear by the weekend. If you don't hear from me by then, bump this post to remind me.

Strangely enough, it is "fun" ... I enjoy hard bugs, it's a challenge. It's just time consuming, and doesn't help pay the bills unless someone like you is prepared to help out. :)

-- hugh

Good deal :) We aren't in a huge rush on this - so no worries...just shoot the invoice over to me when you get a chance please...thanks.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back