Warning about data types

Hi guys,

First let me share that I have been doing databases for over 30 years almost exclusively SQL for the past 15 years, both back end programming and front end programming.

When I make modifications to certain elements I sometimes get warnings when I save about changing from one data type to another. I have to admit I don't understand them as they make little sense to me. This latest was about a column in a table that holds numeric values that can be in the range of 1 to 999. The datatype in the database is INT. Fabrik suggested using VARCHAR(255) !!! There have been some similar suggestions.

Is there a way to turn those warnings off?

Best regards,
Arnor

You can't turn them off. But you can ignore them. If you want us to make the change, say Yes. If not, don't. :)

-- hugh

Well, actually, you can turn that feature off. In the List settings, under advanced, set "Alter field types" (something like that) to either "No" or "New elements only".

Then, once a field is created, we'll never make changes to the type, and you can control that yourself in your mysql client of choice.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back