biometric reader with fabrik

gwebwere

Hello Community.
Is there a possibility to receive biometric reader data in the element?
I ask this, because I have seen many readers that run in .php

my situation and the following;
I have a customer register and I would like each client to have their biometric saved and later they could locate the register by biometrics. is it possible to do that?

Almost anything is possible :)

Where does this biometric device save it's data? Is it some sql database? Does your Joomla site has access to this database or could the access be set up?

Almost anything is possible :)

Where does this biometric device save it's data? Is it some sql database? Does your Joomla site has access to this database or could the access be set up?

juuser thanks for responding;

This data is saved in the mysql database.
The reader communicates using .php codes
follow the reader information link

Although my Spanish is close to zero :), I seems to get the basic idea of the fingerprint reader setup from the video. This one is probably not too trivial to solve. You will most likely not get a solution from here, but hopefully some ideas to go on with.

How have you thought your setup should be?

1) Your user first logs in to Joomla?
2) Then there should be some form where he/she authenticates with fingerprint?
3) And then the user is redirected somewhere (e.g. to Fabrik list) to see the information which is meant for the particular user?

...or something else?

Although my Spanish is close to zero :), I seems to get the basic idea of the fingerprint reader setup from the video. This one is probably not too trivial to solve. You will most likely not get a solution from here, but hopefully some ideas to go on with.

How have you thought your setup should be?

1) Your user first logs in to Joomla?
2) Then there should be some form where he/she authenticates with fingerprint?
3) And then the user is redirected somewhere (e.g. to Fabrik list) to see the information which is meant for the particular user?

...or something else?

1) Does your user first log in to Joomla?
ANSWER: YES
2) So there must be some way in which he / she authenticates with fingerprint?
ANSWER: YES
3) And then the user is redirected somewhere (for example, to the Fabrik list) to see the information for that specific user?
ANSWER: EXACTLY THAT

The user will log in normally.

The biometric reader will be used to register a customer with his biometrics.

for later I have a list of the fabrik and in the search field the customer just put the biometrics that I believe will generate a code and will search to find the customer's registration. that's basically my idea.

OK, I refreshed my memory/know-how a bit from the years back when I last had some project which had fingerprint sensor included.

Unfortunately not so easy to solve. Fingerprint sensors do not work like barcode scanners, where you can read the data straight into some
form field. Instead when the finger is read, it generates punch of data and compares it to the one in database. As the fingerprint is never
100% the same, you put your finger on the reader differently, there is some dirt concerned + number of additional factors, it just determines
is it close enough according to the readers algorithm. So there is no unique and always the same hash or string for a particular user.

For your case you would probably need to integrate your fingerprint reader software with reading form to Joomla. Then when the user
identifies her/himself, he would be redirected to a Fabrik form which is then prefiltered based on the indentified user. This would need
rather a lot of custom coding.

I think for your purpose it would be a overkill. And you can find a lots of articles in Google why it is generally not the best idea to use fingerprint
data for authentication in web applications. When someone steals your password, you can change it. But when the fingerprint data is stolen,
how would you change that.

When your users log into Joomla anyway using traditional methods, you can just use list pre-filters to display the specific data to certain users.

If anyone has some more easier solution, you're welcome to share.

OK, I refreshed my memory/know-how a bit from the years back when I last had some project which had fingerprint sensor included.

Unfortunately not so easy to solve. Fingerprint sensors do not work like barcode scanners, where you can read the data straight into some
form field. Instead when the finger is read, it generates punch of data and compares it to the one in database. As the fingerprint is never
100% the same, you put your finger on the reader differently, there is some dirt concerned + number of additional factors, it just determines
is it close enough according to the readers algorithm. So there is no unique and always the same hash or string for a particular user.

For your case you would probably need to integrate your fingerprint reader software with reading form to Joomla. Then when the user
identifies her/himself, he would be redirected to a Fabrik form which is then prefiltered based on the indentified user. This would need
rather a lot of custom coding.

I think for your purpose it would be a overkill. And you can find a lots of articles in Google why it is generally not the best idea to use fingerprint
data for authentication in web applications. When someone steals your password, you can change it. But when the fingerprint data is stolen,
how would you change that.

When your users log into Joomla anyway using traditional methods, you can just use list pre-filters to display the specific data to certain users.

If anyone has some more easier solution, you're welcome to share.

I thank the attention!

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back