3.x List Plugins - Do they exist?

IamJim

Good day all, Rob Hugh and all the other names I have read on here so far.

Me? A "first time caller" here, and actually about 2-3 weeks ago ran across Fabrik, but haven't had a chance to get things rolling until now....but reading thru 1 category of 116 pages with 20 posts per page [kinda scattered to say] but willing to help...and get things rolling on the Wiki as I develop what I need also.

"More me" ? 54 years old, grew up "paper tape" programming in the late 1970's then into PC's 1980 [Commodore CBM 8032 at a cost of $ 5,000.00] Then worked for GTE in the late 80's back when only the big guns could afford things...and well.. Joined MSFT betat teams from DOS 3.0 up until 6.22, then Windows WFG team abut decided to stick with NT3.5/3.51/4.0 up until Release of Win2k.. At which point I moved and took a job with a Microsoft sub-contractor that lasted only 3 years until our jobs were outsourced to Canada and India.

OK, let's get going and sorry for all that, I will edit it out later..

My first few questions are?

1) I have the latest 3. download, but nothing from the SVN.. I guess I'll need to have that set up, but how to please? To grab and toss into my leased nix server?

2) My first project will involve Calendar & Radius search along with run of the mill simple form elements and DB storage.

Is the above (2) working with 3.xx please?

Thanks much in advance, and sorry for the initial text...but that's it in a nutshell

Regards,

Jim

For Fabrik 3, there is no SVN anymore. All the latest releases and non-core plugins are available on GitHub. Check the Wiki for details on how to update and/or contribute code.

Thank you very much for the reply ! Now the issue is with getting the updates from Github. I have described the issue and steps taken on another thread where others also having issues.

Thanks again,

Jim

"paper tape" programming

I'm glad my generation just missed that one.... It was bad enough dealing with reel tapes getting chewed up in these!! :)

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/storage/storage_3420.html

Back to you issue though....

A Github ZIP download will be called something like Fabrik-fabrik-3.0.5-670-g383c85a.zip.

Once you unzip this you may end up with a directory will a similiar name to the original zip file, something like Fabrik-fabrik-383c85a

It is the contents of this directory that you need to upload to the root of your Joomla installation.

So if your Joomla files are indeed in /html_public/ then that's where you need to upload the files.

You should then be able to discover the new plugins, if this doesn't work then try clicking the purge cache button a re-discovering again.

Let us know how you get on.

lol on the reel to reel. I feel in love w/ simple punch card processing feeding those reels on a class trip. As for the paper tape days? 1 Mispunch could take down a 1/2 million dollar machine...and of course...your Job & reputation as a programmer.. No such thing as "dry run models" or Ctrl-Alt-Delete.. :cool:

Thanks for the reply, now? Here is what I have done and we will soon know the results. (As I am presently @ 88% upload Gitfiles

1) I deleted the sub-domain, db + user and all traces and started over.

2) Loaded J2.5.6 (extracted on server and chown'd

3) Re-downloaded git, extracted and uploading file set now via FTP into the acctname/directory.. <89%>

Now? Here is what dawned on me...is that 1st attempt I used WinSCP to upload the files, in which they went in as 'root'.. I tried to chown again, but did not work still...

So? Now at 91% and I will report back here upon findings...and again, thanks for the repply.

BINGO !! And thanks for your help Felix.

Discover > Purge > Discover and they are there,

Select ALL > Install = Discover install successful

Thanks !! It is the issue of 'ownership' using WinSCP tossing then as root, and not the acctname/domain owning them.

Now, as far as the others? Would it be possible of php_upload limits on there end? Would Fabrik 3.x toss a warning?

a) Possible to 'test' max_upload and report prior to install?

b) They could be just on "cheap shared hosting" also ;-)

No, let's get down to business with this "greatest invention since Sliced Bread".. ;D

Would Fabrik 3.x toss a warning?

Probably not as that's more on the Joomla side and has always been a nightmare!

You can view your settings in the Joomla Backend though, if you go to Site -> System information you should be able to view all you PHP settings.

Thanks !! It is the issue of 'ownership' using WinSCP tossing then as root, and not the acctname/domain owning them.

And that's another can of worms altogether which I only managed to solve by using a system called cPanel that some hosters use.

I'm not really a unix person but I know enough about the permissions for me to have headaches.

The issues I used to have was FTP using different permissions to apache (I think that's correct), so if I uploaded files by FTP by web pages couldn't use them!

So using cPanel or a Joomla component called eXtplorer everything was owned by apache and thus no more permission errors.

Thanks again for the replies and help.. Now what I am wondering? Is how can I package up what I have, and use it for "fresh installs" prior to me adding/doing anything?

Does anyone know? aka.. Create this as a "quickstart" J2.5.6 & This updated F!...as 2.5.6 is not going to change as much as this will :)

Probably not as that's more on the Joomla side and has always been a nightmare!

You can view your settings in the Joomla Backend though, if you go to Site -> System information you should be able to view all you PHP settings.
Joomla itself does a selftest prior to continue, and so do a few other components and modules I have used from others.. I am not sure "yet" of Fabrik's total needs, but I have my servers set up to allow pretty good sized uploads, where many with shared hosting are limited.

And that's another can of worms altogether which I only managed to solve by using a system called cPanel that some hosters use.
I have used cpanel since early 2001 and is on all my leased servers and spoke many times with Nick (and staff) and many tweaks I have suggested have founf there way into it.. They were hiring back in 2004/2005 but no way was I going to leave living in Montana near Glacier Park for a move to Philadelphia...after my Microsoft division left dodge out there.

I'm not really a unix person but I know enough about the permissions for me to have headaches.
I have learned to become one...lol.. as much as I can..and no way an expert, as cPanel has made my life so much easier..as all it does is "run scripts" and shell commands I don't have to remember :)

Thanks again,

Jim

Akeeba Backup does a good job, it will backup all your files and tables.

Downloading another file from there website, I think it's called kickstart, enables a complete retore process.

Having said that it's probably quicker if you are using cpanel. Just do a database backup from there and for the files ZIP it in filemanager.

Cpanel is great, sorry about the way I described it, I have to assume that not everybody knows what it is. :)

Updates within Github are on an almost daily basis.... But, if you are not having any issues you can wait for official release updates.

We do always ask if you are using the latest Github though should you encounter any issues, this prevents us trying to diagnose what maybe an old bug. So best practise if you have any quirks in the furture is to install the latest official release and then perform a Github update. If the issue still exists then post on the forums.

Joomla itself does a selftest prior to continue, and so do a few other components and modules I have used from others

I'll look into that one, I don't ever remember Joomla telling me that my PHP upload size is to small. It would be great if an install could do these checks though, would cut down diagnostic time on some posts.

Again, thanks for the reply~~

Akeeba Backup does a good job, it will backup all your files and tables.

Downloading another file from there website, I think it's called kickstart, enables a complete retore process.

Having said that it's probably quicker if you are using cpanel. Just do a database backup from there and for the files ZIP it in filemanager.[/qoute]

I am aware of Akeeba,,,but that just backs up the "single site" and my goal is to take what I have so far and reduce the 3 step process down to one, meaning. And yes, I have my WHM on all my servers set for daily/weekly/monthly backups as it is now...and when I do screw around with the unknown, I'll back it up prior that day so I may roll back.

The three steps to make 1 =

1) Installation of J2.5.6
2) Installation of Fabrik Core
3) Update from Github

Into one self exploding 'core'.. I know I can take what I have now [which is empty, nothing] but these 3 items and place it under a different domain, and then edit the config files manually... Maybe I'll play around a little...as if? I leave the installation folder in tact, and then zip it...it be all I am asking.

Jim

Well you could slipstream the github files into the install Fabrik zip which would prevent the need for Github updates.....

I create a new Fabrik site in about 5 minutes now and do it with my eyes shut.... so haven't really investigated other ways... lol

Admittidly this is on a local server which does make things a bit quicker and easier.

For rolling back though you only have to worry about the database as the files don't change through usage.

Again, and I thank you for the reply...for now, I just zipped up this core on the server...so I will have to just mod the dbConnect strings and then Import the SQL per new account.

On another note? Is there a list somewhere of KNOWN other components or modules that interferes with Fabrik?

My question is because, at this point I would like to also include Community Builder into the project I am going to be doing ..as that will be needed as will Akeeba & Paypal Subscriptions also...

Any known conflicts {anyone} of Akeeba Subs and CBuilder anyone?

Off course it will have forms, it will have many multiple tables and joins (in which I will need help with. Along with (4) pop up calendars to select and use mapping and the Radius plugin..in which I found out today is non-compat at this point...

Which? Heck, not sure how far I can go...without "Going Bauer"..<just a tease tossed in> but he brings up some valid points...and I've spent so many wasted hours "on squashing bugs of others".. but back in my younger days, and didn't care..

Along my journey., I will also be note taking and would like to add to the Wiki for sure ~~

I also will become a subscriber soon...but I'd like to take this 'jet' out and taxi it around for a bit to make sure it will be flight worthy for my "trips"

Jim

Again, and I thank you for the reply...for now, I just zipped up this core on the server...so I will have to just mod the dbConnect strings and then Import the SQL per new account.

Also note you will need to change Fabriks connections as well as Joomla's. Joomla's being the configuration.php and Fabrik's under the Connections tab.

Is there a list somewhere of KNOWN other components or modules that interferes with Fabrik?

Only in our heads. :) Fabrik and the other components are changing all the time, so what may conflict one day may not the following. Once upon a time there used to be a lot of conflicts with mootools but thankfully those days should be over with Joomla 2.5.

Some jquery items can cause conflicts but this is a conflict with mootools are not necessarily a Fabrik issue.

Certain server setups themselves can cause a few issues but again even these seem to be filter out now.

lol, this is where I should read the whole text before replying, instead of paragraph by paragraph. Akeeba and CB will be fine, infact Fabrik has a plugin to interface with CB.

By the looks of it everything looks possible and of course just post any questions or issues you encounter.

Enjoy the taxi ride. :)

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back