• Hello Fabrik Community

Fabrik is now in the hands of the development team that brought you Fabrik for Joomla 4. We have recently transitioned the Fabrik site over to a new server and are busy trying to clean it up. We have upgraded the site to Joomla 4 and are running the latest version of Fabrik 4. We have also upgraded the Xenforo forum software to the latest version. Many of the widgets you might have been used to on the forum are no longer operational, many abandoned by the developers. We hope to bring back some of the important ones as we have time.

Exciting times to be sure.

The Fabrik 4.0 Official release is now available. In addition, the Fabrik codebase is now available in a public repository. See the notices about these in the announcements section

We wish to shout out a very big Thank You to all of you who have made donations. They have really helped. But we can always use more...wink..wink..

Also a big Thank You to those of you who have been assisting others in the forum. This takes a very big burden off of us as we work on bugs, the website and the future of Fabrik.

Can this be done with fabrik...?

m6xmed5

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is any way the fabrik can be used to allow front end users to create joomla user groups on the same permission level they are already on?

The reason I want to do this is because I have another plugin that allows users to collaborate on projects, but the permissions options kind of suck a bit on that plugin.

It allows a user to set a joomla user group permission as the viewing level.
Problem with that is that if a user creates a project that they want to be visible only to other users they choose, an admin must create the user group and assign that viewing level for each user to have access to the project.

If there could be a way to create a little user group manager app in fabrik it would solve all the problems with that plugin.

I think it's a bit tricky because a new user group is a group the existing user can't belong to.
I principal you can do every thing with php code (i.e. form or list plugin). But it's up to you to make it save.

I get what you mean. I need to look at the joomla docs for adding new user groups.
Is there any way to have the user plugin as multiselect or do I have to use repeating groups?

Last edited:
I don't think you'll find a simple, single API call for adding a group or an access level, you'll have to load a Usergroup (or level) table instance, populate the data array, and save it.

No, user element can be multiselect. Also, if you are wanting to select the users to add to the new group, you wouldn't want to use the 'user' element, as that's specifically tailored for recording the current user in a form. Just use a join to the #__users table. Then you could use a checkbox or multiselect. Although if you have a lot of users, that would be cumbersome. You might be better off just having a repeat group, with a dropdown join to #__users.

-- hugh

Thanks for the pointers Hugh, I did some reading yesterday, you are correct there is no simple API call for it. After looking at the Joomla docs I think this might be beyond my ability, doesn't mean I'm not going to have a pop at it though :)

It's not too hard, and I've seen some example code on Stack Overflow, if you Google for some appropriate terms.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back