Copy Repeated Group - Enhancement

bggann

I've see some threads on this back in 2009/10, but nothing that seems to say it was ever implemented.

It would be useful for me to have a "copy" function in a repeated group. So a user could "add" a blank repeated group or "copy" the existing repeated group to a new one. In my use, often most of the information in the repeated group is the same so it would be nice not to have to re-enter it.

Did this ever happen?

-Bob

I remember adding this (the "Copy Values" option at the bottom of the "Repeat" tab on Group settings), but I can't recall if I ever got it working totally.

Test it and let me know.

-- hugh

I tested this today on my Dev site.
It works - with limitations.
When you add a repeated group, it is created with data from the 1st repeated group - no matter how many repeats are there.
I'm checking with my users to see if this is beneficial, but I suspect they will say "no - we need to copy the 'last' group we entered.
That is based on the type of data we have. Typically the 1st group will be kind of an 'overhead' group, then the second and on are 'detail' groups (yes, the actual group structure is the same, so it is the data that we are entering that is "overhead" versus "detail".
There will be only 1 'overhead' group and may be many 'detail' groups.

So, as implemented, it would work if they entered a "detail" group first. Problem is, that is probably not natural flow.

- I think copying the 'previous' group versus the 'first' group may make more sense for this function.
I may see if I can find it in the code somewhere and look if there is an obvious way to adjust.

-Bob

The intent behind it was to copy whichever one you clicked the + on, or if using the main + (the one at the top not associated with a specific group) to copy the first.

-- hugh

Hmm. That is not what I'm seeing.
It sure seems to create the new group based on the first repeat. I'm clicking on the "+" on the repeated group I'm wanting to duplicate. I don't have a 'main' one (at the top), only the one at the top of each repeated group. I'm using a very slightly modified template based on bootstrap.

If you are interested in looking, it is the training.aviation site and I think you have creds there.
Use the "Add aircraft Use/Add Helicopter Flight Log" menu. I have it on in Helicopters only. This is a dev site so no data is important there.
This is not a super high priority, my customers are asking about it, but not clammering.

-Bob

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.
Back