1. Fabrik 3.8.1 has been released. It is mostly bug fixes and feature enhancements, but does include two new plugins (push notifications, and the sequence element). As usual we strongly recommend testing the new release on a sandbox if your application is mission critical, and always do an Akeeba backup before updating.
    Dismiss Notice

Create .pdf file and download not as .zip file

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gruber, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Gruber

Gruber Member

Level: Community
    Hey there, as title goes: how can I enable .pdf download without the file being zipped?

Thanks a lot!

2. cheesegrits

cheesegrits Support Gopher Staff Member

Well, if it's an upload element, you can just enable the download script feature.

If you mean with the download list plugin, you can't. That always ZIPs files.

-- hugh

3. Gruber

Gruber Member

Yea it's the download list plugin. Is there a way to implement a .pdf file download then in the details view instead of the list? The dompdf library feature looks very handy, but downloading a zip file many times confuse end users.

Thank you for your answer!

4. troester

troester Administrator Staff Member

Not sure what you mean.
    If you want to upload/download existing PDF files you can do it with the fileupload element. Set option "Link to file", then the user can open/download the single PDF.

The PDF button in list and details view (using the domPDF lib) is for creating a PDF of the recent list or details view. This will create a .pdf, not .zip.

5. Gruber

Gruber Member

Ok thank you troester! I'll try to explain my self better:
    I activated the download plugin on my list and I have a button to download the domPDF generated file of the record, wich is atm zipped then served to the user.

Is there another way to have an auto generated .pdf file of a record via the domPDF library? Looking at the docs I found only the download plugin on the list section, but I guess I'm missing something obvious.

Simply put I'd like to have a way (in the list view or details view, or anywhere else) to give the user the possibility to download a pdf file of a record on the list (tha usually match in content with what is visible in the detail view of that record).

Thanks a lot for your help guys!

6. troester

troester Administrator Staff Member

7. Gruber

Gruber Member

Gah, sorry I bet it was yet another RTFM issue, totally missed that page, I thought it was related and enabled only if the download plugin was active on the list, thank you!

8. cheesegrits

cheesegrits Support Gopher Staff Member

Glad you got it sorted.

The reason the download plugin ZIPs files is that pretty much the whole point of the plugin is so you can download multiple files at once, which of course requires zipping them up. If you just need to download single files, in their unzipped form, the upload element allows for that. And if you just need a single detail view PDF, you have that option.

-- hugh