Deprecated plugins still showing up...uninstall?

annekas

I've managed to search out posts on some deprecated plugins: kaltura, openstreetmap, etc. So I confidently uninstalled them from my J3/F3.3.3 installation. After github update and post update steps, I still see:
Fabrik Element - Sugar CRM ID 3.0.9
Fabrik Form - Firefox Contacts 3.0.8
Fabrik Form - Ping.fm 3.0.8
Fabrik List - Example 3.0.9

I am assuming that these plugins are deprecated and should be uninstalled.

Real question, is there a list anywhere of deprecated plugins that we can refer to?

A GitHub update only overrides existing files, it doesn't delete or uninstall anything.
If you don't have installed such plugins you can just remove the folders.

It just needs us to actually delete them from github. We tend to keep old stuff laying around, just in case we get a bug up our collective butts and decide to resurrect them, or we need something similar which could re-use some of the old code.

Really all you need to do is not install them. They'll show up in a "discover" if you upload a github ZIP, but the general rule of thumb is, only install stuff you actually need.

-- hugh

It just needs us to actually delete them from github. We tend to keep old stuff laying around, just in case we get a bug up our collective butts and decide to resurrect them, or we need something similar which could re-use some of the old code.

Really all you need to do is not install them. They'll show up in a "discover" if you upload a github ZIP, but the general rule of thumb is, only install stuff you actually need.

-- hugh
Thanks to you both, Troester and Hugh!

As I was uploading the github I wondered about all the language files. Since my site is entirely in English, does your advice go for that as well?

And as for excluding those plugins in a github upload, let me see if I understand this correctly. Once I unzip the file I download from github, I can go through and delete any files I don't want on my site?? Then upload the rest?

Sorry for the newbie question. (See my sig!)

Once I unzip the file I download from github, I can go through and delete any files I don't want on my site??
Not really.

Some remarks:
- You are posting in Fabrik3.0/Jooma2.5 forum but asking for "J3/F3.3.3" (so better use the Fabrik3.1/Joomla3 forum)
- The plugins you mention are not part of the recent Fabrik3.3 GitHub (Joomla3), they are only rests of your old Fabrik3.0 GitHub (the ones with 3.0.8 are not even in the recent joomla25 GitHub) --> you can delete those folders
- You can delete all language folders you don't need (but there are a lot of them)
- But you should keep all the rest

Unless you have absolutely compelling technical reasons, I wouldn't delete anything. You are just increasing the risk of accidentally deleting something we need, and causing yourself and us support overhead.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back