• Hello Fabrik Community

Fabrik is now in the hands of the development team that brought you Fabrik for Joomla 4. We have recently transitioned the Fabrik site over to a new server and are busy trying to clean it up. We have upgraded the site to Joomla 4 and are running the latest version of Fabrik 4. We have also upgraded the Xenforo forum software to the latest version. Many of the widgets you might have been used to on the forum are no longer operational, many abandoned by the developers. We hope to bring back some of the important ones as we have time.

Exciting times to be sure.

The Fabrik 4.0 Official release is now available. In addition, the Fabrik codebase is now available in a public repository. See the notices about these in the announcements section

We wish to shout out a very big Thank You to all of you who have made donations. They have really helped. But we can always use more...wink..wink..

Also a big Thank You to those of you who have been assisting others in the forum. This takes a very big burden off of us as we work on bugs, the website and the future of Fabrik.

Development to Production

teoyh

I am hoping someone can share with me how do you all managed your application development using Fabrik in development and when done and verified by user then move the application to Production.

As you know for Fabrik , there is no tools to transport the new application from development server to production.

Not sure if there is something I miss or not aware, thank you in advance.

Wish you all an awesome week ahead :)

For now the best way seems to be to export the form data to xml file and import in another site. Works quite well for simple lists/forms, but with many joins and repeated data it's still quite a lot of work.

Hugh gave some hope a while ago to get Packages working again, but I have no idea will this happen anytime soon. This would be great as it would save a lot of time. Let's hope Hugh finds some time to take care of this some time soon.

Because of that I tend to develop new solutions in the live site and make constant backup's with Akeeba Backup.

For now the best way seems to be to export the form data to xml file and import in another site. Works quite well for simple lists/forms, but with many joins and repeated data it's still quite a lot of work.

Hugh gave some hope a while ago to get Packages working again, but I have no idea will this happen anytime soon. This would be great as it would save a lot of time. Let's hope Hugh finds some time to take care of this some time soon.

Because of that I tend to develop new solutions in the live site and make constant backup's with Akeeba Backup.

This is a big problem for me , I had been developing using Fabrik since 2005 till now but as years changed , audit requirement become more and more strict. They do not allow me to developed in Live site and I am now facing problem trying to follow the compliance.

Not sure if it will work if we copy the table that belong to Fabrik from development to production and also the JavaScript and php files

Unfortunately not so easy. Settings for lists/forms are spread all over different database tables and fields. Of course almost anything is possible when you have enought know-how and time, but in this case it would require quite a lot of both to develop a straightforward solution.

Last edited:
It's easier to "merge" totally new stuff into an existing live application than modifications. Even packages won't help, they were thought to install a new Fabrik part.

If you are developing new lists etc. you can use the content type (although this is "developing on the live site").

If you are modifing existing lists (e.g. adding elements, joins...) you can
  • create a copy of your live site,
  • adapt the Fabrik connection,
  • do the modifications,
  • copy back all #_fabrik_x tables (beside the fabrik_connection), all new/modified custom php and js files
  • (prerequisit: nobody else did Fabrik modifications on your live site meanwhile)
  • add all modifications to your live data tables (e.g. new columns, maybe you have to fill foreign keys, content of calc elements etc)
So maybe you'll need two copies of your live site:
one for the modifications
one to test the "merging"

Always keep in mind to set the Fabrik connection in copied sites!

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back