eMailing with prefilled forms

Incremental

Hi,
I have to send a mailing for an event.
I have in an Excel sheet filled with users data.

I would like to pre-fill forms to register to this event and would expect data validation by users.
Thanks to jfquestiaux for this post allowing to fill Fabrik form :
http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?threads/post-data-via-url.19828/#post-184505

Now I have to send by mail a custom URL for each of my users in Excel.
Do you know a simple way to make my mailing (generating my pre-filled URL) ???
It could be from my PC or through Joomla...
Thanks by advance

Since your data is in Excel, you could create an Excel formula to generate the urls. I am no Excel expert, but I'm sure there are lot of ressources that can explain how to do that.

For the mailing itself, I don't know what you are planning to use.

The macro could prepare the mail for Outlook.

But ideally, instead of coding Excel I would prefer to do it all with Fabrik :
  • import my Excel by CSV in a List,
  • have an admin List button calling some PHP to loop over the List for creating all the invitation emails and send them through Joomla sendmail,
  • each individual mail point to the corresponding row in the list and each user can therefore update his data and validate it for registration to the event
Does it sounds possible with Fabrik ?

there's an email list plugin or a PHP list plugin that would do this. They both accept placeholders so customising the mail should be possible.

Reactions: rob
Thanks for this nice plugin
I tested the plugin and have a few remarks :
  1. Condition is not a PHP statement but a SQL WHERE as indicated in the tooltip.
  2. Update rows / Update value : it would be nice to be able to increment a counter.
    Not just update the value with a string - ie : "Sent"
  3. Tooltips are rendered in HTML code
  4. When emailing, a popup opens with how many mails will be sent, the subject and a message editor.
    In the message editor there is no space for showing or typing anything.
    Toggle Editor button is at a wrong place. Is this normal ?
  5. [Question not relating to the plugin] How could I sent to each user the URL relating to his information. It's not Joomla registered users - only new users ?
Thanks for help
Regards

Not sure what you mean with 1. Yes, the condition expects a WHERE clause, which is what the tooltip says. Unless it doesn't say that in the translation you are using?

For 2 ... there's lots of things it would be nice to have in Fabrik. But there are only 24 hours in the day. If you want to throw us a few $$, we could probably squeeze that in for you, but we're so busy just trying to get a stable 3.1 out the door, we don't really have time for much by way of feature additions, unless it helps us pay our rent. :)

3, yup, all AJAX loaded plugin settings on the backend are currently not rendering correctly, something got borked in the tooltip lib, we're not quite sure what right now. It'll get fixed soon. Hopefully.

I'm working on 4 now, not quite sure what's going on there. We're creating the editor with enough height, as you can tell from where the Toggle Editor button is - taht should be where the bottom of the editor window is. But it looks like the MCE Javascript is truncating the main WYSYWYG editor to fit that visible area of the popup window.

You could probably use the 'cron' email plugin, and instead of publishing it and scheduling it, just use the 'Run' button to run it one time.

-- hugh

Oh, alright. For 2., I just committed a little change that should let you use an expression instead of a value.

If you don't select a field for the "Update", and just specify an expression in the "Update value", it'll run that expression.

So instead of select 'foo' and using a value of '1' (or whatever), you could NOT select a field, and use a value of 'foo = foo + 1'.

You should be able to use any valid MySQL expression, up to and including a subquery.

-- hugh

Thanks cheesegrits
Not sure what you mean with 1. Yes, the condition expects a WHERE clause, which is what the tooltip says. Unless it doesn't say that in the translation you are using?
It's a remark about the difference between Wiki and tooltip.
I assume that tooltip is right for the future and we can correct the wiki ?

Just to improve understanding, could you rename /Options/Condition in SQL Condition
because it's different to the other plugins using PHP.
At the first glance, I don't use tooltips ;)

Thanks

Ah, you should always read the tooltips. I know Real Admins Don't Need No Steenkin' Tooltips, but you will often find relevant and (on the whole) correct info in them, as we (Rob, I and other active users) tend to see those more, and notice incorrect info. And actually correct it. :)

Yes, the tooltip is right for the future. Please do change the wiki. Also, if you could add the new stuff about the "leave out the update field, and you can put any arbitrary statement in the value field", that'd be great.

Good idea, I'll change the label.

Still trying to work out wtf is going on with that editor in the popup. I think it's going to need Rob to wave his magic Javascript Wand over it.

-- hugh

editor in pop up is simply not possible sorry. I've looked repeatedly at it and my conclusion is that is aint ever never ever going to work

Rob,
why not disabling it when in popup ?
As pop ups are full of problems, a special mention in tooltips or Wiki would be fine !

1) I set my List ajaxify = no and have Edit / View in a full page (correct)
but the Email plugin still displays in a popup !!!

2) a click on "Toggle editor" button refresh the popup window which displays the full site page with the message :
The requested page cannot be found.
404 Component not found

3)But a click on browser back button displays correctly the form with the Editor.
The the editor works, with "Toggle editor" button
Strange...

Oh, alright. For 2., I just committed a little change that should let you use an expression instead of a value.

If you don't select a field for the "Update", and just specify an expression in the "Update value", it'll run that expression.

So instead of select 'foo' and using a value of '1' (or whatever), you could NOT select a field, and use a value of 'foo = foo + 1'.

You should be able to use any valid MySQL expression, up to and including a subquery.

-- hugh
Cheesegrits,
I need some precisions for SQL increment
My SQL column is named 'NbEnvois' int(11).
I tried with the second update :
- no selected field
- update value :
'NbEnvois = NbEnvois + 1'
'NbEnvois' = 'NbEnvois' + 1
"'NbEnvois' = 'NbEnvois' + 1"
'{inscriptions___NbEnvois}' = '{inscriptions___NbEnvois}' + 1
'{inscriptions___NbEnvois} = {inscriptions___NbEnvois} + 1'
Update inscriptions Set NbEnvois=NbEnvois+1 Where id={rowid}
'Update inscriptions Set NbEnvois=NbEnvois+1 Where id={rowid}'
Update inscriptions Set NbEnvois=NbEnvois+1 Where id=9
Update 'inscriptions' Set 'NbEnvois'='NbEnvois'+1 Where 'id'=9