1. Fabrik 3.9 has been released. If you have updated Joomla to 3.9, this is a required update.
    Dismiss Notice

Fabrik + Twilio + Whastapp

Discussion in 'Community' started by sunnyjey, Apr 8, 2019.

1. sunnyjey

sunnyjey Active Member

Level: Community
    It would be awesome if we could integrate Fabrik with Whatsapp Message for instant notifications and two-way short message communication.

Twilio has provided PHP API for whatsApp at
    https://www.twilio.com/docs/sms/whatsapp/quickstart/php

Can anyone provide some insight on how to integrate this in Fabrik.

Thank you in advance.

2. cheesegrits

cheesegrits Support Gopher Staff Member

Sending would be pretty simple, as it basically uses the same API calls as regular SMS, would only require a few tweaks to the existing plugin to select Whatsapp as the target.

But receiving would require a fair amount of work, as it requires having a listener that accepts the inbound webhook calls for the incoming messages. That means adding a chunk of code to the existing plugin, and figuring out how to relate the inbound message to the right record in the list / form that has the plugin. In other words, what to do with the inbound message ... where to insert it, in what table, and related to what row that generated the outbound message (if the inbound is a reply).

I've done this kind of stuff before (the Mailgun plugin has some of that basic functionality, of accepting inbound webhooks for receiving replies), and I'd guess a couple of days work to get it built, tested and debugged.

-- hugh

3. sunnyjey

sunnyjey Active Member

Do we need to create one more plugin for WhatsApp for just Sending ? I can survive with sending WhatsApp ATM ! WhatsApp is insanely popular in my region !!

Thank you for taking time to go through the API and explaining it in detail. To be honest, I won't be able to fund that much of hours of work ATM. But, would definitely love to partly contribute, if others also interested. Let me know, if you get such client in near future with same request.

4. Nagtegaal

Nagtegaal New Member

Here I posted my solution. It might be helpful.