File Upload Element - Join Repeatable

Parisi

We have a List that is Joined to a Second List that is Repeatable the Second List contains a File Upload Element. When we click on the + button to add an additional Repeated group the File Upload Element name is populated with the first file name.

Is this a bug?

Attachments

• 2018-10-10_15-01-19.jpg
    2018-10-10_15-01-19.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 304
BTW, if you are interested then we can jointly contribute funds to fix this bug (I would rather prefer 'to enhance the functionality') of File Upload Element.

Hi @sunnyjey - we have to think about this - based on what was in the link you mentioned we are taking a serious look at what we should do. I had expected, maybe irrationally, that the parts (plugins etc) would work as expected. It is scary to me to find out that this one doesn't and the only solution is to try to pay to get some attention to the problem but it sounds like even if we were willing to pay the solution timeframe would be unknown. Just thinking thru how to deal with this.

Last edited:
@Parisi - out of interest, how do you think Fabrik development gets funded, and how do you think it should get funded?

I may be wrong, but as far as I can tell, you last paid for a subscription in Sept of 2016. Like I said, I could be wrong, if you switched emails on your PayPal account, or I'm not reading our subs database correctly. And you may have received some free Pro support last year, when our sub expiration code was broken, and a lot of people never got expired out of the Pro group when their sub lapsed.

Even if I am wrong, that was the fairly typical way subs worked. People would sign up for a little while as they developed their app, then let the sub slide for a year or two or three, then come back when they needed to add some functionality, or updated J! / Fabrik and found an issue, etc. While their sub is active I'm providing support, but the sub only (partly) covered that support effort (I say partly, as subs have never been enough to fully cover the time it takes to provide support). But for the gaps in their sub, obviously they weren't contributing anything to the cost of continued development, bug fixing, feature enhancement, etc.

So, assuming I'm right about your sub, what you are saying is "I haven't contributed to Fabrik development for a couple of years, but I think someone else should have paid for <insert bug here> to be fixed", whether that "someone else" is other subscribers, or me. If I'm wrong, apologies, but the point still stands for most Fabrik users, who didn't maintain subscriptions for long periods of time, and simply expected development to continue, funded by others.

So subs just don't work. Which means we have to find a different way for Fabrik development to be funded. And the fairest way seems to me to be that if you find an issue you need fixing, or a feature you need adding, you pay for it. If more than one person has the same requirement, the cost can be shared. If that cost benefit doesn't work, and you can build your app cheaper yourself from scratch or using some other extension, then you can make that decision, and not use Fabrik.

Just FYI, on the issue of "the solution timeframe would be unknown", I've installed a ticketing / tracking extension in XenForo, which we will use if we do decide to go this route.

If you have other ideas, I'm interested in discussing them.

-- hugh

@cheesegrits - So sorry I did not mean to strike a nerve. We have always been huge supporters of Fabrik and telling everyone we can about. We developed a couple of projects with it a couple years ago and they have long since been sunsetted. We have always been interested in using Fabrik again and when we had a project that seemed well suited to Fabrik we jumped at the chance. The first thing I tried to do was to try to purchase a pro subscription but was not able to. I looked again today and am still not able to (and I totally get why so this isn't a dig).

And, regarding the comment about the broken expiration code, I am pretty sure we pointed that issue out.

Also, I hope you do not take my comments as you quoted "I haven't contributed to Fabrik development for a couple of years, but I think someone else should have paid for <insert bug here> to be fixed" - I never said that nor was it my intent. It is just simply what I stated -- we have a project that we are well into and finding out the the doorknobs we spec'ed don't work and the only hope I have of getting them fixed is unknown. Plus, I am scared of what I else I don't know might not work.

I never said I would not be willing to pay but you made it clear in your previous posts that you did not have time regardless of what it might cost - you were too busy and did not have a need for that functionality in your current projects. Which I totally understand and don't blame you or anyone for. But, that is the same point from our side as well.

As far as open source and subscriptions, etc. I can't imagine how to make that work - I am constantly amazed at how well some projects have been able to create a critical mass that supports the development but I am sure that it is very difficult. I cannot imagine being in you all's situation. You have a great product but no real means to develop the resources you need to scale. I do have an idea about how this might work - you could have an auction (sort-of) but get people to kickstart features. So you put a bunch of features (etc) on kickstart and let people bid for the ones they want to fund and the ones with the most money and meeting a certain level get built. It maybe not Kickstarter but you get the idea.

Again - sorry if I ruffled any feathers - that was not my intent.

Paul.

Sorry, I re-read my response, and it came over way more defensive than I meant it to. I'm just stating the problem, that subs just don't work, so we are having to move away from "all you can eat" subs, and towards a "pay as you go" approach.

but you made it clear in your previous posts that you did not have time regardless of what it might cost

My response to Sunny in that other thread was about a specific issue, which is not the issue in this thread (he referenced his thread as being the same issue, but it isn't). It was to do with multiple AJAX uploads, in a repeat group (which means a many-to-many join inside a many-to-many join), which is (from experience) a fiendishly difficult issue to work on, that I've been chipping away at for years.

The issue you raised, of "normal" uploads in a repeat group not resetting the file when you add a group is much, much simpler, and I can fix that easily within an hour.

Our plan atm is to allow people to purchase blocks of time (initially probably something like 1, 2 and 5 hours, where you get a small discount for the larger blocks). Then you can raise a ticket, I can give you an estimate, you can purchase a block of time, and I can work on the issue from that, detailing in the ticket how much time has been used.

I'm still working on the mechanics of it. There isn't a ready-rolled solution for either J! or XenForo. I've purchased and installed a pretty good ticketing system for XenForo, and am talking to the author about how to integrate that with some sort of time management. The plan is to use J2Store for the purchasing, using the existing integration with Fabrik, because that gives us invoicing and Quickbooks integration. The part I have to then build is hooking up the Fabrik / J2store side of it to the XenForo ticket / time management, so you can see in the ticketing system how much time you have in the bank.

-- hugh

Is there any fix for this bug? What would be the cost for correction? I need this function 100% on my system.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back