• Hello Fabrik Community

Fabrik is now in the hands of the development team that brought you Fabrik for Joomla 4. We have recently transitioned the Fabrik site over to a new server and are busy trying to clean it up. We have upgraded the site to Joomla 4 and are running the latest version of Fabrik 4. We have also upgraded the Xenforo forum software to the latest version. Many of the widgets you might have been used to on the forum are no longer operational, many abandoned by the developers. We hope to bring back some of the important ones as we have time.

Exciting times to be sure.

The Fabrik 4.0 Official release is now available. In addition, the Fabrik codebase is now available in a public repository. See the notices about these in the announcements section

We wish to shout out a very big Thank You to all of you who have made donations. They have really helped. But we can always use more...wink..wink..

Also a big Thank You to those of you who have been assisting others in the forum. This takes a very big burden off of us as we work on bugs, the website and the future of Fabrik.

For want of a stable vB -> J! Bridge, a year was lost. Fabrik -> :: Thumbsup ::!

Tigratrus

Read though the first 30 pages of the docs last night and skimmed the rest this morning. Man am I psyched... This is *exactly* what I've been looking for since early last year, basically a web based version of the Remedy Client/Server systems I used to develop. I'm sure it's going to take me a while to wrap my head around the methodology, and Joomla itself is going to take a bit to get used to, but you've got some really nice infrastructure here, with some very useful shortcuts built in.

Ironically, after beating my head against a wall on a php/mysql project (complicated and user extensible data driven form) I was trying to build for our website, Susan and I have spent the last 4 months so far trying to get a project built via rentacoder, and unless I'm very much mistaken Fabik could have done what we wanted pretty much as is. Esp with the php templates. Good change there btw. Man... We've got $1000 tied up building that project and it's *still* not done!

A couple of questions?

1. Any reason we can't use JQuery scripting? Can we modify the header in the template to include the appropriate library etc?
2. Any chance of an element to handle data driven Drag & Drop & reorder lists? Basically you have two columns, with the available choices listed on the left and the user drags the choices they want into the right column and then drags them up and down to to specify the order.
3. How much is involved (if anything) in setting up form persistance? I.E. If a user fills in a form then goes to another form (implicit save on leave?) and then comes back to the first form will all the data elements be in the state they were in when they left, appropriate check boxes selected, text fields filled in etc?
4. Is there any programatic way to change properties on an element at runtime? In other words, say we setup a File upload element but we wanted each user to save in their own subdirectory without them having to see or specify that that's what's happening, can we set the upload directory to say, images/stories/{$my->id}?
5. Do you guys have any other system setup for members to provide monetary support other than just the subscription? Maybe the ability to commission specific enhancements etc :p ::nudge nudge wink wink::

Anyway, just wanted to thank you all, esp Rob and Graylan (hope he's still around?) up front for the work you've put into this, you've got a unique tool with immense potential here and we look forward to doing some fun development with it! I'm sure I'm going to have a TON of questions as I start getting into this more, but I promise to go through the tutorials and Docs first ;-).

James and Susan

hi James

1) Joomla 1.5 will be using mootools, hence our decission to move from protoype/scripaculous to mootools. I would imagine that running JQuery alongside would cause script conflicts- perhaps you can use it in its own name space (you can't do that with mootools) - i've only dabbled with JQuery and it looked to be fairly similar in functionality to mootools/prototype - so, it might be worth taking a day or so to get up to speed with mootools, rather than facing all sorts of possible odd conflicts. All I can say is that probably 30% of the support we do now is due to javascript library conflicts.

2) Not for 1.0.x = for 2.0b we have a nice plug0-in architecture which will allow for the creation of such things.

3) Heheh I could suggest using firefox 3 - it seems to (annoyingly when you want to test stuff) do this of its own accord. Otherwise you really need to submit the form. If you wanted that to be seamless I guess you could set up an ajax periodical updater in the form template to save the form. Or perhaps observe a change in the window location and save via ajax then. None of this currently exists so it would require some work.
Another alternative is in 2.0 we wil use 'packages' which are an ajax framework allowing you to work on one page and manipulate forms, tables, visualizations etc without a page refresh - this is very much in beta in 2.0, but may be of intrest to you.

4) that particular setting is on the server side, so you couldn't alter it at run time, however we could quiet easily allow people to enter a path in the upload directory field as:
images/stories/{$my->id} and for that to be replaced with images/stories/62/ for example . Is this something you need or was it a general example? If you need it I can probably take a look tomorrow.

5) Nothing concrete yet - emailing or PMing me or Hugh is probably the best way to get a response to quotes for specific work.

Looking forward to those other questions ;)

Rob

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back