1. Fabrik 3.8.1 has been released. It is mostly bug fixes and feature enhancements, but does include two new plugins (push notifications, and the sequence element). As usual we strongly recommend testing the new release on a sandbox if your application is mission critical, and always do an Akeeba backup before updating.
    Dismiss Notice

get the current joomla language in javascript

Discussion in 'Community' started by mirceat, Oct 12, 2018 at 8:36 AM.

1. mirceat

mirceat Member

Level: Community
    Hello,

i searched the internet and couldn't find a proper solution for getting the current language tag within a javascript code. I need to display a javascript confirmation message if the current language value doesn't match the recorded database value.

So far i tried this code onload, but i can't get the lang variable, in console log i see the php text instead of language value:

Code (Javascript):
    var lang = "<?php echo JFactory::getLanguage()->getTag();?>";

there is another way to get the language value in javascript?

Thank you

2. cheesegrits

cheesegrits Support Gopher Staff Member

Level: Community
    Unfortunately I don't think the language tag is included in the standard Joomla JS options.

And assuming by "I tried this code onload" you mean in a Fabrik element, then no, that won't work, as we don't eval that, so the PHP won't get executed.

You'll need to add it yourself, either in a custom Fabrik template, or maybe in your site template:

Code (Text):

JFactory::getDocument()->addScriptOptions('myOptions', array('lang' => JFactory::getLanguage()->getTag()));

... and then in your JS code you can do ...

Code (Text):

var myOptions = Joomla.getOptions('myOptions');
    // ... and the tag will be in myOptions.lang

If you don't want to edit templates, and if you are doing this in a Fabrik form, you could put that line of code in a form PHP plugin, running onLoad. Or if it's a list, you could add a list php_events plugin, again running onLoad.

-- hugh