Helix 3 and JS Not working

I have installed joomshaper educon template, and my javascript is not working. Radio button groups will select however deselect (they all still submit just visually deselect) when you select another one on the page.

Also having issues with hiding groups or elements based on selections.

I have updated from the most recent github, made sure bootstrap3 overide is in my layouts folder.

Site www.portsmouthambulance.org/portal

Yes, I've been trying to get in touch with JoomShaper, as there is some issues in the way they implement their button group JS, which makes it so it works fine for them, but I can't hang event on the radio buttons. But the only response I can get from them is "buy a subscription and post in our forums".

To which my answer is "No". Every other template vendor I've ever spoken to over the last decade is more than happy to provide a free license for integration work to other J! extensions developers, and put me in touch with their developers if I need to report bugs. That's why Fabrik works well with things like JoomlArt and Gantry, because they don't blow you off and expect you to pay to report bugs to them.

So my suggestion is you ask them why they won't play nice with other J! extensions developers.

(If I sound irritated, it's because I am)

-- hugh

Last edited:
OK, I think I've found a workaround that doesn't involve JoomShaper:

https://github.com/Fabrik/fabrik/commit/61d55b522191167b96bf983d65f89c4da2d9b156

The problem was that they had copied the code from the Protostar template for the button group handling, but they'd removed a crucial line that fires the 'change' event for the hidden radio button.

I've worked round it by adding the "label" of the button group to our event delegation, so we'll now see a click on that, rather than relying on other people's code to correctly pass events through.

(The issue here is that button groups hide the actual radio input, which the click and change events would usually be generated for, and see clicks on the overlay instead ... and it is normal practise for people who write button group handlers to pass those events through to the hidden input, so other people's code that has no a-priori knowledge of whether a given radio button has been Bootstrapped into a group, don't have to worry about it, they just get an event on the radio input as normal. Pretty much every other template I've worked with does this, but Helix (and presumably other JoomShaper templates) doesn't)

-- hugh

I updated the files that were edited and it did not appear to work. This evening when I have time to take the site down I will do a complete update.

As well joomshaper got back with me and I have to go on and recreate the problem in their environment and they are going to investigate it.

No need for them to do anything, I'm satisfied I've got a fix.

If they'd like to give me a membership so I can download and test other JoomShaper templates, that'd be cool.

-- hugh

I doubt it, I've been getting the runaround from anonymous people on their main contact email, which is the only way to contact them without a paid subscription.

Feel free to give them my email address (hugh dot messenger at gmail dot com).

-- hugh

Works for me in Helix 3. Can you point me at your form. You gave a link to /portal, but no indication as to which form.

-- hugh

OK, the problem isn't that the checked status is getting unset (so if you submit the form, the right buttons will still be submitted as checked), it's that the 'active' class is getting removed by something (not Fabrik) as soon as focus is moved from a given radio button group, and the bootstrap CSS only shows the selected color if the 'active' class is on that button. So the visual indiciation of which buttons is selected is getting removed.

But I can't figure out what is doing it, because all the template JS is minified.

I'll need a copy of that template to install and test here, where I can put J! in debug mode to load the uncompressed JS.

Which brings us back to getting JoomShaper to play nice and let me have a membership for integration / development purposes.

-- hugh

OK, the problem isn't that the checked status is getting unset (so if you submit the form, the right buttons will still be submitted as checked), it's that the 'active' class is getting removed by something (not Fabrik) as soon as focus is moved from a given radio button group, and the bootstrap CSS only shows the selected color if the 'active' class is on that button. So the visual indiciation of which buttons is selected is getting removed.

But I can't figure out what is doing it, because all the template JS is minified.

I'll need a copy of that template to install and test here, where I can put J! in debug mode to load the uncompressed JS.

Which brings us back to getting JoomShaper to play nice and let me have a membership for integration / development purposes.

-- hugh
If it is ok I can provide you a copy of my template.... I sent them a message today and asked them to contact you

I'm just not keen on having people give me copies of licensed, commercial software. Even though I'd be using it locally for development purposes, both of us would technically be breaking the law.

I much prefer to actually get a valid license, with which I can a) access official support channels, and b) get updates.

I've replied to their pre-sales guy again, hopefully they will give me access.

-- hugh

They say they are working on it..... I hope they contact you... They have great templates if they will work with fabrik.

By chance they have a section in the template section for custom js ... Do you think placing the button js here it would work....

However I think there is other js issues as well.

The sales guy responded last night and agreed to give me a developer license.

Can you remind me which template it is?

I don't have the license yet, but hopefully it'll be forthcoming soon.

Hugh

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Oops, no, I got my templates confused. It was the YooTheme guy that responded last night. Still no joy from JoomShaper.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back