1. NOTICE: If you are using Fabrik and update to Joomla 3.10, you will need to update to Fabrik 3.10. And, if you are using Fabrik, do not upgrade to Joomla 4, we do not have a supported version ready for release. More information on a release date coming soon. Also, please note that Fabrik 3.10 will not install on any Joomla sites less than 3.8.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I add a new plugin I see in SVN?

Discussion in 'Frequently Answered Questions' started by cheesegrits, Nov 9, 2008.

1. cheesegrits

cheesegrits Support Gopher Staff Member

Level: Community
    Some plugins (validation rules, elements types, etc) in 2.0 won't show up in your Fabrik install, because they are not part of the 'core' install.

You can add extra plugins either by downloading the ZIP file from our downloads area, or creating your own ZIP from SVN.

To install a new plugin:

Either download the ZIP you need from the downloads area, or grab a recent copy of SVN and ZIP up the plugin folder from your local 'clean' copy of the latest SVN (i.e. after you do an 'export' from your SVN copy). So, for instance, ZIP the content of ./components/com_fabrik/plugins/form/confirmation into confirmation.zip.

Uppload / install the ZIP you just created using the Fabrik Plugin installer (do NOT use the standard J! installer!).

NOTE - don't just blindly add all plugins you see, as some are "works in progress", and some are just plain broken! Only add something that looks like you really need it.

-- hugh

2. cheesegrits

Yeah, in fact I said the same thing to myself yesterday. Although I was thinking more of creating a 2.0 FAQ forum.

I'll do that now.

-- hugh

3. cheesegrits

Didn't forget, as usual I'm multi-tasking a dozen issues at one time, so it takes a while for any one task to run to completion. :)

-- hugh

4. winandweb

winandweb New Member

Is there any place where it can be found a list of the fabrik available plugins with a brief description of what they do ?

5. cheesegrits

The built-in (core) ones should be fairly explanatory. Most of the rest are listed in the downloads section with a brief description. Any that aren't available as download ZIP's can only be found in SVN ... and you'll have to peek inside the XML file for each plugin for the quick description.

All of which makes me think we REALLY need to create a simple list with descriptions somewhere. We'll try and get it done before 2.0 releases.

-- hugh

6. rob

rob Administrator Staff Member

well most that are in the SVN but not in the downloads section are not ready for prime time yet - any that are should be available in the downloads section with a description. But we could also so with writing some more spiel about what each plugin can do

7. cheesegrits

It'd be nice to have an automated way of doing this. Best way would have been to have a 'short description' in the actual plugin table ... then we could use a Fabrik table to display the fabrik_plugins table from this site in some suitable way ... and just keep this site up to date with all the plugins.

THis kinda goes back to that idea I raised recently about improving the Fabrik Plugin manager, so it talks to our main site and shows all available plugins as well as installed ones, provides a remote 'install' (or 'update') button ... and includes a short description of each one.

All of which is (relatively) simple to do, but has that gotcha of having to go delving in the plugin XML for the description.

-- hgh

8. winandweb

winandweb New Member

Thank you, appreciate your replies. I've just discovered fabrik and after going through the tutorials and SVN am getting more familiar with the plugins. But I did not figure out yet which ones from the SVN are not ready for prime. Some must-have like cascading dropdown and google maps deserve the downloads area if not the core.

9. cheesegrits

The Google map element is in the downloads area, but is 'premium' content, so only paid subscribers can access it.

For the cascading dropdown, I think we just haven't made up our minds yet whether this is core, public or premium.

During the RC4 testing phase (which will hopefully be the last phase before 2.0 is released, although we may do a quick RC5 as a dress rehearsal) we'll be sorting all the plugins out ... removing 'junk' from SVN, and making final decisions about which plugin goes where.

-- hugh

10. hm84

hm84 New Member

Level: Standard
    Hi,
    I've accidently deleted the fabrik fileupload component. I know this is a core plugin. How do i re include it. I did the zip and install plugin but it wont install correctly. Can anyone help. Thanks.

11. peamak

peamak Moderator

If you just deleted the files on the ftp you could probably just upload them... the plugin will still be 'installed' for Fabrik.

12. osmodels

osmodels Member

How do I add form and table in a same page

13. peamak

peamak Moderator

I already answered your thread, do not post the same question over and over again, everywhere... just look at my answer.

14. Greenrent

Greenrent New Member

Nice post...Thank you very much!!......[​IMG]

15. faramade

faramade New Member

I have downloaded fabrik 3 but it is missing file upload component and I don't also have the fabrik plugin manager so I can not add any plugin. Am I doing something wrong

16. troester

troester Well-Known Member Staff Member

for fabrik3 plugins use the Joomla installer

1 person likes this.
  17. tnavarra2002

tnavarra2002 New Member

Hi, I have a problem with downloading files using SVN. This is the error:
    Error: OPTIONS of 'http://fabrik.unfuddle.com/svn/fabrik_fabrik2/trunk': 200 OK (http://fabrik.unfuddle.com)
    Help Please

18. Rankx

Rankx New Member

I am getting conflicting messages about this. I was told that I need to update my fabrik with all the files i downloaded from SVN. I did follow this and zipped up fabrik2article and install it. I was told I can't do only that but I must upload all the files from SVN. So which is it and where do I upload the SVN files to.

19. cheesegrits

They aren't really conflicting messages. You just need to do both. If you are going to install a plugin from SVN, rather than from one of our pre-built ZIP downloads, then you need to be running the latest SVN (or at least the same revision you are getting the plugin SVN code from) site wide.

It makes sense if you think about it. Plugins are just that - plugins to the core code. So they rely on the core Fabrik code. And if a change in some plugin code in SVN relies on another change in the core code in SVN ... and you try and run the new plugin code on the 'old' core code ... it's going to break.

So, if there is a plugin you see in SVN which doesn't exist as a download ZIP, first do a complete SVN update (see link in my sig). Then build a ZIP from your local SVN copy of the plugin you want, and install it via the Fabrik plugin installer.

If you've not done an SVN update before (or even if you have) we STRONGLY recommend testing it first on a sandbox (test copy of the your site), before upgrading your live site. SVN's are bleeding edge code, and may sometimes introduce new bugs.

-- hugh

1 person likes this.
  20. Rankx

Rankx New Member

Thanks for your response. I have read the SVN Access piece many times and here is where I am a bit confused.

"The exported SVN folder now contains a layout which mirrors that of a Joomla site. Now simply use your favorite FTP client to upload ALL of the new files to your server, overwriting your old files with the ones contained in the exported SVN folder."

I want to know if I am to export these files directly to the root of my joomla installation. That doesn't seem to make sense to me, but is that what I have to do?