How do I create a Podcast in Fabrik?

cheesegrits

Support Gopher
Some recent changes to Fabrik 1.0.6 (as of SVN revision 1018) allow you to create simple audio Podcasts. At the moment, we're just supporting simple MP3's, but will be adding other audio and video types soon.

Here's how (it should only take about five or ten minutes to create and test a working feed):

Create a new group, lets call it 'my_podcast', and add a minimum of three elements to the new group:

1) A text field, lets call it 'feed_title' (you can call it what you want), which will be used as the title for each individual podcast.

2) A text area, lets call it 'description', which will contain the longer description for each podcast. Fill in all the usual details. Select the "Show in RSS Feed" and "Show Label" under the RSS settings (bottom of Publishing tab).

3) An upload element, lets call it 'audiofile', fill in all the usual details, set to allow only the .mp3 extension. Select "Show in RSS Feed".

Create a new Form, fill in all the usual details, and assign the 'my_podcast' group to it. Make sure you enable the "Record in database" checkbox.

After saving the Form, Fabrik will have created a new Table for you. Edit the new Table, and give it a suitable Label (which will be used as the overall title for the Podcast feed) and Intro Text (which will be used as the overall description for the feed).

Also on the Table admin, under RSS Options (bottom of Publishing tab), select "Create Feed: Yes". Set whatever limits you want on the number of items the feed will send. Under "Column to use for feed title" select the 'feed_title' element you created above. Under "Column to use for feed dates", select the 'date_time' element Fabrik will have created automatically.

Now publish your new Form somewhere on the front end. You may want to apply standard J! permissions to restrict who can access it to upload new MP3's.

Upload some content. Might want to start with a small test MP3 rather than some monster file.

Now publish your Table to a menu on the front end, and go to the new page. It will have an "RSS Feed" link at the top. Click the link, and you browser should show you the 'raw' feed.

Copy the link URL, go to iTunes, select Subscribe to Podcast from the Advanced menu, and paste the URL in there. If all went well, you will be subscribed to your new feed in iTunes.

If you don't want the Fabrik table itself showing on your site, you can remove the menu link (now you have the URL for it), and just publish that feed URL wherever you want on your site.

-- hugh

BTW, while working on this I was using The Onion Radio News as my reference for the feed format. Which reminded me just how funny The Onion Radio News podcast is. So if you have a minute, check it out at:

http://feeds.theonion.com/theonion/radionews

Todays "8th Grade reading list heavily favors Stuff That Sucks" is a classic.

-- hugh

Still having trouble getting the audio file to push through to the RSS. I am using the icon replacement. Is that a problem?

Could well be, although i thought we skipped that if rendering method was rss.

Try turning that off, see if it works.

I was playing around with my podcast list the other day, when I was revamping the 'media' viz to add the sexy new Longtail JW 5 Player (so the viz now supports video as well as audio), and my podcasts are still working just fine.

-- hugh

looks like turning off the icon replacement allows the file name to be pushed through to the rss. Is there any way that I can keep the icon so that the user can play the audio file in the browser? Is that what the media Vizualizer is supposed to do? I am not familiar with the viz, are there tutorials for how to use them?

try updating now, I think I have fixed things so the icon replacement doesn't occur for rss feeds.

i uploaded what I think is the new Github - Fabrik-fabrik-3.0.5-740-g14df63e.zip and tried update the cache through discover and manage. Nothing seems to have changed. Thanks for working on this!

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back