How to create a search

gcopping

I have created a List which contains details such as addresses. I now want to create a Search which enables anyone to search by Town or Post Code and display the results on a Google Map. I think I need to do this using Visualisations but cannot figure out how to filter using the search values input, and how I get those search values input from the site.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction on this?

For search/filtering set the elements (town, postcode) to be a filter (in element settings "List view settings" "Filters".

For the Google map visualisation your list must contain a Googlemap element. Select this list in the viz settings and enable "Show filters" in Visualization Options.

Thanks for your help it is much appreciated.

I have done as you suggested using the Filter Type of Dropdown, but now have the following issues:

1. For my List of addresses I have the generic one which shows all addresses and I also have a List which just filters the addresses to show those for a registered user. Now when a registered user logs in it also shows the Search option with the dropdown showing the towns and post codes available, but I do not want the search to show for a registered user, so how do I remove this.

2. I have set up a new Menu option which displays this Fabric Visualisation but the dropdowns for Town and Post Code just show the option "ALL" they do not show the Towns and Post Codes available. Why is this?

3. When I go to the Town and Post Code elements in my List for registered users I get the following message:

"Element is a child of: Business City/Town

Edit Business City/Town

or Click to unlink and edit this element"

I am not sure what to do with this and is this something to do with the issues above?

Any help that you can offer with these problems would be great.

Hmmm, let's see...

1. For the elements you're filtering on and which are not intended for logged-in users only, you can set the filter access to "Guest". See Wiki: http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/elements/#filters

2. Hard to tell without knowing details of your list, elements and viz settings...

3. Child elements are usually created when you copy a list. By the way, if you create multiple copies of a list, you'll also get multiple children of each element.
As the message says, you are able to edit a child element without affecting the parent element. Or just go, find and edit the parent element, and any edits affect both, parent and any children.
Again, the Wiki is your friend: http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/elements/#parent-child-elements

Thanks for your help.

1. This is now sorted by setting filter access to "Guest"

2. I have changed the filters from "Dropdown" to "Autocomplete" and they now pick up what is in the list, so I do not understand why the "Dropdown" option will not work, but I can now manage with "Autocomplete". However when the search is actioned it doesn't come back with a Google Map showing the Location. It just shows the default Google Map somewhere over Western Africa. Any ideas on this much appreciated.

3. Thanks for explaining. Wiki is quite good, but doesn't really help if you have a specific problem because there are so many options it is very difficult to know where to start. I did a Fabrik project about 3 years ago and there were then some very good videos which enabled me to complete the project. I am not sure why, but those videos are not now available, and it looks like we are waiting for new ones. It would have been good if the old videos could have been left up whilst the new ones were being prepared.

OK I have now managed to solve the issue 2. above by changing the access level to "Guest".

However I now have 2 more queries.

Firstly the Zoom Level - by default it is set to 4, however I want it to be at a more detailed level but when I change the Zoom Level nothing happens, it just sticks at the the 4 level on the map. I can zoom in manually but would like to start at a more detailed level. Is there an issue with changing this?

Secondly, is there a way for the selected items to either click on the icon, or move the mouse over the icon, to get multiple elements displayed? At the moment I can only find a way of displaying one element on mouse over.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1. If you don't see a changed start zoom level it's cached: you may have set "Use cookies"=yes. Clear your browser cache.

2. If you have multiple elements with exactly the same location it will display one icon with multiple elements.

Thanks for your help I have now resolved 1.

However on 2. I might not have explained myself fully. What I want to be able to do is for the items found on the search, display more than 1 element, e.g business name and url to business website, and then be able to click on the url to the business website and for it to open in a new window. I think this may be something to do with "bubble template" but I have looked at the help on Wiki, and must admit I can't understand from this how I need to format the code to go in here.

Any further help greatly appreciated.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back