1. Fabrik 3.9 has been released. If you have updated Joomla to 3.9, this is a required update.
    Dismiss Notice

How to make an "attend events" form?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jalonsom, May 18, 2009.

1. jalonsom

jalonsom New Member

Level: Community
    Been trying to sort this out, but I currently have no clue on how to do this.

I want to make an "Attend Events" application.

- Certain users should be able to create events. This looks like an easy form. No problem.
    - I want a way to display a table containing the events that the logged in user has not confirmed if he is going to attend or not, with a link to a form that allows him to respond yes/no.
    - Ideally that table would contain the radio button to answer yes/no (I don't know if this is possible, it sounds like mixing tables and forms...) with a single submit button for all events.
    - I also want a table with already responded events, so that the user can see and edit his own responses. (ideally the edit would be done in the table, but again I don't know if it's possible).

I have tried several approaches, trying a different table to store the user's responses, but none worked. I'm really stuck.
    ?Can anyone give me a hint?

Thanks a lot!

2. cheesegrits

cheesegrits Support Gopher Staff Member

I answered an almost identical question about building an events / attendees app earlier today, which may help. OK, found it ... it was in the 1.0 forums, but the same principle applies for 2.0:

http://fabrikar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58791#post58791

You need two tables - the events table (which stores the details about the event), and a user_events table, which has the per-user details about events they are attending.

You can then pre-filter the user_events table so only the events you want show up, by using the 'subquery' type filter. Won't be exactly the same as the on on the other thread, but a similar principle.

Is that how you have things set up now?

-- hugh

3. jalonsom

jalonsom New Member

I had those tables set up, but didn't think of prefiltering, which now seems quite obvious... I was trying to make some kind of table join....

Thanks!!!

Now I don't see how can I display a link in each table row so that the user can create a response for the correspondign event in the response table.

Can I pass the event id to the response form through a parameter in the link? How?
    I could then just call the response form with that parameter.

EDIT: I found this can be done as described here: http://fabrikar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7972

Is there another better way?

Thanks again!!

4. rob

rob Administrator Staff Member

nope thats the best way to do it

Cheers
    Rob