How to move a list (with forms et.al) to a different site

jeffhoneyager

I've been looking for a couple days.

Where is the documentation to take a list, export it, and move it to another site.

I know there is a way, but I can't find it after searching, and searching...

Thanks!

Go to forms, in the column "Content type" click "Export"
upload_2018-4-12_23-10-50.png
This will create a file ...\administrator\components\com_fabrik\models\content_types\your-form.xml

Copy this file to the same location in your other site.
Create a new list, select this content-type, save.
Now you'll have a list with your original elements etc.

Thank you!!!

Here's a quickie that relates...

One of the elements will be used to link to a joomla article. In the element setting for title is...
List View Settings >> List Settings tab:
Custom Link =
/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id={jvanmx_content___id}:{jvanmx_content___alias}&catid={jvanmx_content___catid}

This works great on the site where it was built, but the database prefix for the destination site is:

alloy_

not

jvanmx_

When I created a list and selected the .xml file I found this in the Custom Link Field:

/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id={jvanmx_content___id}:{jvanmx_content___alias}&catid={jvanmx_content___catid}

Is there a placeholder for the database prefix I can put in the original list?

like:
/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id={dbprefix}{_content___id}:{dbprefix}{_content___alias}&catid={dbprefix}{_content___catid}

Thanks a boat load.

The dbprefix placeholder is #_
But I don't know if this is working in every place.

The contenttypes is surely no "out of the box/covers all" thing.
If you have special setups it's likely that you have to do additional work (e.g. set the watch element in CDDs, list ordering, list/form plugins; copying files you need like scripts, templates, images; copying database tables (or the table content) fro e.g. lookup data etc.)

But it will you at least give all your elements with their main settings.

I tried the #_ and get a 404 error.

Thanks for the guidance.

Hopefully the "Package" code is on the roadmap.

Last edited:
Hugh,

Thanks a ton.

Now I have to figure out how to update from github.
I believe it gives me the list.php file to modify
I believe it shows these 4 lines to add at line 9222

+ $prefix = $config->get('dbprefix');
+ $match = str_replace('#__', $prefix, $match);
+
+ $config = JFactory::getConfig();

I'm after it!

Thanks again.

I don't recommend "cherry picking" from github. I know it's a pain, but it there's been other changes between the last time you updated, and the commit you want, there's a good chance you'll break your site in unpredictable ways, as changes in one commit often rely on changes in previous commits on other files.

So best to bite the bullet, download the whole thing ..

https://github.com/Fabrik/fabrik/archive/master.zip

... unzip it and upload everything, with your ftp client set to "always overwrite".

Takes a while, but ensures you don't wind up with code conflicts.

-- hugh

I was wondering something... this is the method to take a list and export it to use on another site... but what if i would like to copy an entire list (list-form-groups,elements), and just rename it to use it on my site... so let's say i have a big form with over 100 regular elements and a dozen of repeat groups... and now i have to build another form exactly the same on my site, just the name will change... is there an easy way to do this ? Or do i have to copy each elements manually and unlink them manually ?

I tried to export like the method explained here to see the form of the data, cause i would have run a search and replace command to change all the names... but i see that it is impossible if i have a cdd element include in the form.

Please tell me there is an easy way....lollll

rodeokid

I tried this to move my fabrik lists, forms, et al from my production site where Fabrik no longer works at all, to a development site. Now I'm getting this error:

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in/home/iitb/dev.itsinthebagbyk.com/administrator/components/com_fabrik/fabrik.phpon line81

How do I fix this? I'm very, very frustrated with Fabrik right at this moment. For months I thought I like it and have been telling all my DBA and website developer friends about it, but now I'm not so sure.

It's no error it's a warning. You see it because of error reporting level is set to max.
It's relatrd to php7.2 and I think it's fixed in the GitHub version

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

I was able to fix that warning, but now I am getting an error. It's "500 Fabrik has generated in incorrect query for the list XXXXXX". I removed all the prefilters and it does not solve the problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Last edited:
enable Fabrik debug in Fabrik Options 'Debugging'.
Then append &fabrikdebug=1 to your list URL, this should display the complete error message.

You may check also your list Data settings: primary key, order by
or watch elements in CDDs
or data-where or other 'Advanced' settings in dbjoins...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

I checked all the primary keys and "order by" and everything else yesterday before I posted here. I don't have any CDDs.

I tried appending the above to the URL after turning on debugging in Fabrik, but it just goes back to the home page. Maybe I'm not appending it correctly, but I've tried just adding it to the end of the URL and with a / between the URL and the above, but neither work.

I finally figured out I needed add the ? before the above while in lists in Fabrik.

Now the error says "500 Fabrik has generated an incorrect query for the list IITB - Client: <br /><br /><pre>Unknown column 'iitb_client_5_repeat.id' in 'field list'</pre>". When I "copied" the form into the development site, Fabrik changed the address group, which repeats, from iitb_client_5_xxx ... to iitb_client_2_xxx ...'

I have looked and everything says 2, not 5. I looked for trashed elements and there aren't any. I also looked in the database and there isn't anything that says iitb_client_5 _xxx. At least not that I have found.

So I don't know why it's looking for iitb_client_5_xxx when everything says iitb_client_2_xxx. How do I fix this? I don't want to have to start from scratch on all my forms.

Last edited:
I finally figured out I needed add the ? before the above while in lists in Fabrik.

Now the error says "500 Fabrik has generated an incorrect query for the list IITB - Client: <br /><br /><pre>Unknown column 'iitb_client_5_repeat.id' in 'field list'</pre>". When I "copied" the form into the development site, Fabrik changed the address group, which repeats, from iitb_client_5_xxx ... to iitb_client_2_xxx ...'

I have looked and everything says 2, not 5. I looked for trashed elements and there aren't any. I also looked in the database and there isn't anything that says iitb_client_5 _xxx. At least not that I have found.

So I don't know why it's looking for iitb_client_5_xxx when everything says iitb_client_2_xxx. How do I fix this? I don't want to have to start from scratch on all my forms.

Did you check all the database entries for fabrik? Not just the ones you transferred. I had similar issues moving a development site to a host server. All my issues were in the database.

Yes, I checked the database - before I posted the reply above. Everything looks like it's supposed to look from what I can tell. Unless there is another table somewhere that I don't know about that doesn't say Fabrik. I looked at the tables I created and all of the Fabrik tables, even the ones not related to fields - ALL of them. I may have missed something, because this doesn't make any sense, but I'm beyond frustrated.

So, instead of moving the Fabrik lists, forms, groups, elements, etc, I took the production site (where Fabrik was working great for months and suddenly completely quit working and now no longer even allow me to see the data from the administrator/backend and no one can get to any forms or lists on the front end. I have another thread where I have posted about all the related issues) and cloned it to another dev site. I installed gantry and a template from rocketthem and uninstalled the T3framework and JoomlaArt templates. Now I'm getting the same 500 Fabrik has generated an incorrect query for the list IITB - Client. (Not the same error I was getting when using the JoomlArt template). I'm now working on that to see why that same error is occurring in the new test site where I cloned all of production instead of just trying to move all the Fabrik stuff.

As I said several times in the other thread, the really confusing/frustring thing is all was working well for months and the only thing I changed was to update versions of extensions along the way. And suddenly all the Fabrik stuff became completely hosed. So I did an update from github and now in the production site and now NO ONE, includng me, can get to the lists, forms, or data in the front end or back end - I can only see it in the database. This happened with new problem cropping up each day over the course of about 5 days with NO CHANGES at all during that time. Makes no sense.

Update: I don't think the 500 error is related to the JoomlaArt template.

Last edited:
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back