isAdmin removed from J4

As it says here above, "do not upgrade to Joomla 4, we do not have a supported version ready for release".

Thanks for the hint and PR, there'll certainly be a lot more to do... ;)

I am just playing, I know J4 support has not been announced, but anything we can do to help speed it along I think is worthwhile.

Yeah, cool.

My reply was aimed more at other readers here, who might assume that Fabrik for J!4 is “around the corner” or so…

Reading through that github issue it appears that isClient($identifier) is supported on all 3.x versions. If true then this change is backward compatible.

I really appreciate the effort, but I see no need for adding Joomla 4 related stuff into 3.10 as the Fabrik 4 will be very likely a totally new branch where all this stuff will be included anyway. Especially when it's not 100% sure it will not break anything for users with older versions of Joomla.

Last edited:
I appreciate the effort, but I see no need for adding Joomla 4 related stuff into 3.10 as the Fabrik 4 will be very likely a totally new branch where all this stuff will be included anyway. Especially when it's not 100% sure it will not break anything for users with older versions of Joomla.
You'll have to admit, for a number of reasons it'd be hugely (hugh-ly? lol...) preferable if a new Fabrik version were compatible with both J!3 and J!4 -- just like other extensions.

Last edited:
However, discussing J!4-related stuff in length or details here in the F 3.1 forum... yeah, that might well be the "wrong" place... ;)

I think @achartier is correct, his PR replaces "isAdmin" (which is not longer supported in J!4) with "isClient('administrator')" which is already supported in J!3.whatever (I just tested one place in my J!3.9.28).

So I think the PR is "mergable" into Fabrik3. 10/J!3.10 but it should be a decision of Mediateam

A question for Mediateam then is, is there a development branch for Fabrik on Joomla 4 that we can play with and PR against as we find things? Or do we simply PR against the current master?

I just now discovered that JVersion->RELEASE is no longer supported in J4. There are 33 places in the code where this is used.

There are two J40 branches in GitHub, but pretty old (May 2019), no idea what @mediaateam is doing internal meanwhile.

BTW: I just found a commit "Alpha 8 removed CMSApplication->isAdmin() so have to use ->isClient('…
…administrator')" there ;)

I have submitted two more PRs for J4 compatibility, both should run fine on J3.x (J3.10 for sure). One changes the use of JVersion as JVersion->RELEASE is no longer supported, the second changes JString and JStringNormalise to their namespaced equivalents.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back