1. NOTICE: If you are using Fabrik and update to Joomla 3.10, you will need to update to Fabrik 3.10. And, if you are using Fabrik, do not upgrade to Joomla 4, we do not have a supported version ready for release. More information on a release date coming soon. Also, please note that Fabrik 3.10 will not install on any Joomla sites less than 3.8.
    Dismiss Notice

PayPal Plugin Questions

Discussion in 'Standard Support' started by bruce.letterle, Aug 25, 2010.

1. bruce.letterle

bruce.letterle New Member

Level: Community
    Is there any reference for what to put in the new PayPal plugin fields? I did an SVN upgrade that added a bunch of new stuff to an old PayPal form and now it is not recording the amount paid and IPN reference. I'm sort of confused by all the options now.

2. rob

rob Administrator Staff Member

have you copied the langauge files from /plugins/form/fabrikpaypal/adminstrator/lanauge/en-GB to administrator/langauge/en-GB?

3. bruce.letterle

Not specifically. I just uploaded all the SVN updates. I can do that if I need to.

Also, is there a reference or post to how to use all the fields? A lot of the help popups do not have any info.

Thanks.

4. bruce.letterle

I copied the language files and everything looks better! I'll test it and let you know if there are more problems.

5. bruce.letterle

The PayPal payments are processing, but not recording in our database. Can you take a look at the attached screenshot of my settings to let me know where I am wrong? I am trying to record the amount paid and the transaction ID.

Attached Files:

6. cheesegrits

cheesegrits Support Gopher Staff Member

First off ... I would STRONGLY suggest you get yourself a PayPal sandbox, and do all your initial testing in 'test mode'. Go to http://developer.paypal.com, where you can create an account and set up your sandbox. The sandbox provides a number of invaluable tools for testing and debugging issues. And of course you are playing with pretend money, instead of a real PayPal account! It is relatively easy to set up, and the only changes you need to make on our end is to use the developer "PayPal Email Account" they provide, and enable Test Mode. Then create a test Buyer Account, and use that to make your purchase. Oh, and one thing it took me a while to work out - to stock your Buyer sandbox account with money, you have to do a bank transfer from the default Chase test account!

Also, I strongly suggest providing the "optional but strongly advised" fields, in particular the IPN Status.

Have you provided a "Return Message", rather than a "Return URL"? If not, try that, and include [show_all] in the msg, which should show you all the values the IPN response is sending you.

Can you tell from your web server logs if PayPal's IPN response is actually hitting your server? If the payment is going thru at the PayPal end, then it must be, and the plugin must be sending back a positive acknowledgment to the IPN response, but I'd like to see what it is sending you. There should be entries in your logs with plugin=fabrikpaypal&method=ipn as part of the request.

-- hugh

7. bruce.letterle

This is not a sandbox because the site has been live for almost a year and they are processing registrations now. I upgraded their Fabrik from SVN and it stopped recording the amount paid and IPN afterwards. I just need to know what fields are necessary for the transaction to record in the table. I couldn't find any documentation on using this plugin, so I need to know what changed and what I have to put in the fields.

I have just added an element to store the IPN Status Element in addition to the IPN Txn ID Element and IPN Payment Element. Is there anything else that needs completed for this to work properly?

8. peamak

peamak Moderator

Reading this I made some tests using latest SVN and at first I thought I had the same issue. But it was just the sandbox who took some time to validate the transactions and update my fabrik table (and run all the scripts...).

So it is working as it should on my hand.

The documentation about using the plugin is included within: just see the tooltips on each element.

9. cheesegrits

All your settings look good.

If you want to catch me on Skype, I can help you debug this. I have to run some errands in a few minutes, but should be around from about 2:30pm onwards my time (CST).

I would prefer to work on a 'sandbox' of your site, so if you don't already use Akeeba, now would be a good time to install it and clone a copy of the site we can work on. If that isn't feasible, I'd like to be able to shut down the public usage of the form while we work on it, and repoint the plugin to my Paypal dev sandbox.

The updates to the plugin should be entirely backward compatible, there are no new required fields or features.

Have you checked in the fabrik_log table for any clues?

-- hugh

10. bruce.letterle

Sorry, I missed your post. Let me know if we can Skype this one today.

Thanks.

11. cheesegrits

I'm around, so try me (even if I show offline in Skype, I'm lurking).

I do however have limited time, as I'm flying to England tomorrow (family reunion) and haven't even started packing yet.

-- hugh

12. bruce.letterle

Here is the error in jos_fabrik_log: form.paypal.ipnfailure.fsock_error

Any clue?

13. peamak

peamak Moderator

I'm guessing Hugh might want to know what's in the message field of this error in fabrik_log... could you paste that too? (Should be something like "fsock error: xxxxxxxxxx")

Apparently that's the place where there's:
    PHP:
    //@TODO implement a curl alternative as fsockopen is not always available

14. bruce.letterle

I read the message field and found a reference to a missing PHP ssl socket. I went to the server and compiled in the missing OpenSSL and CurlSSL. Should that fix it? Here's the last part of the log entry.

fsock error: 1395175120;Unable to find the socket transport "ssl" - did you forget to enable it when you configured PHP?
    IPN custom function =
    IPN custom transaction function =