Repeatable Groups Errors

jessedw

I'm using the most recent version of Joomla 2.5.6 and I just updated to today's github release of fabrikar and problems I've had for some time still exist.

The site has very very little running on it save for fabrikar, and the gantry template from rockettheme.

I have two issues.

1. On a form page, that is also a repeatable group, when I add a record with the green + sign, it works adding the 2nd record, but a lot of the data is pre-populated in the 2nd record. I don't see why that happens, and it shouldn't

2. Adding a third record only works if I use the green + sign at the bottom of the 1st record. The green + sign does not work at the bottom of the 2nd record.

I hope someone has insight into what could be the issue.

I notice that in IE8 there is a mootools error thrown. No errors are thrown in Firefox or Chrome.

Updated from github this morning. Even reinstalled fabrikar, just for good measure. Still the problem is exactly the same.

If you are interested is seeing the error
http://ns.211.ca/form2/
this is just a test site, so don't worry.
user: jessedw
pass: eastwind

Just a quick note regarding your post.

If you update from Github and then reinstall Fabrik on top you are actually going back in time as the 3.0.5.2 install files will overwrite the later github files, (in most cases anyway).

So a Github update should always be the last procedure.

I haven't looked at you repeat group but Troester's reply may be the answer there.

I found the problem, it wasn't anything to do with an element ID.

I was using image elements in the repeatable records. These images were actually tiny transparent png's.. I was using them for their title, as I wanted an different display element. For whatever reason, when I removed all the image elements from the repeatable form, everything worked as expected.

So while everything works for me.. you may want to check out the bug when using repeatable groups that contain image elements.

As for felixkat's note... I "reinstalled" by downloading the github release ONLY, and using Joomla's "discover" to install. So I didn't even touch 3.0.5.2. Then I copied my data from my old install to the new one. The end result was a clean install.

Thanks so much for both your help and comments.

While there may be issues with the image element, having your 'id' (primary key for the List) element as part of a repeating group WILL cause issues. It needs to be part of the original, non repeating group created for that form.

This is something we need to add some defensive coding for, to prevent any group containing the form's 'id' from being set to repeat. I've raised a github issue on this:

https://github.com/Fabrik/fabrik/issues/384

-- hugh

hmm. Why then when one makes a repeatable group, is the primary ID put in the form automatically? Its put in as a field. Along with the id of the repeatable form.

I didn't put it in there. I'm not that clever!

Thanks!

It may be that troester was mistaking the id of your repeat group for the id of the main list / form.

When you set a group to repeat, we automatically create a separate table for those elements, with a one-to-many relationship to the main table, and that repeat group will then have it's own automatically created 'id'.

The danger comes if you edit the main group for a form, which contains the primary key for the main list itself, and set that to repeat.

I actually have a feeling we may have already added some code to prevent this, so the issue I raised may already be moot.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back