• Hello Fabrik Community

Fabrik is now in the hands of the development team that brought you Fabrik for Joomla 4. We have recently transitioned the Fabrik site over to a new server and are busy trying to clean it up. We have upgraded the site to Joomla 4 and are running the latest version of Fabrik 4. We have also upgraded the Xenforo forum software to the latest version. Many of the widgets you might have been used to on the forum are no longer operational, many abandoned by the developers. We hope to bring back some of the important ones as we have time.

Exciting times to be sure.

The Fabrik 4.0 Official release is now available. In addition, the Fabrik codebase is now available in a public repository. See the notices about these in the announcements section

We wish to shout out a very big Thank You to all of you who have made donations. They have really helped. But we can always use more...wink..wink..

Also a big Thank You to those of you who have been assisting others in the forum. This takes a very big burden off of us as we work on bugs, the website and the future of Fabrik.

Seeking community volunteers...

Sophist

Dear Community members

If, as I do, you recognise the benefit you gain from this free software, and if you have the desire and time available to give something back in return, then why not help Hugh out by making code or Wiki contributions to the Fabrik project.

1. The Wiki is in need of some real TLC. Many of its entries are outdated - with Fabrik 2.5 images, or failing to explain that the functionality has been deprecated or no longer works. There are lots of entries which are essentially empty (identified with a + symbol against the title). And I am sure that many of us have gone through learning curves to work out (sometimes by trial and error) how to achieve certain functionality, and the Wiki could really benefit from more examples and some training pages so that other users don't have to repeat the same learning curve.

2. Hugh is working his socks off bringing the core of Fabrik to a new level of quality to work with the upcoming Joomla 4, and doing his best to answer the Pro Sub, Standard Sub and Community questions that we are all asking. Which means he doesn't have the time to code smaller enhancements, to fix small esoteric bugs, to review community PRs or to keep some of the non-core plugins working. This is a great opportunity for the community to help out, and I have created a Wiki Wishlist page as a means of capturing the things that need doing. If you have the programming skills, time and inclination, please add any items you want to see done to this list or tag items you want to work on with your name.

Many thanks.

Sophist

(P.S. I am a community member like any other and not a Fabrikar or Media A-Team employee. This is a genuine call for support from another community member and not written or prompted by Fabrikar in any way.)

Last edited:
Please be aware that I have a significant PR in for isgreaterorlessthan, so you might want to hold off a few days on that one.

I am more than happy to help. One thing for sure, I was planning to create beginners video tutorials soon. The current videos are also outdated.

I know that they are already planning to redo them - so if you want to help please talk to Hugh about it.

New around here, and working with the videos - not too much of a fan of them (expensive satellite connectivity from the Falklands), and was thinking about turning them into pdf format - could potentially be a book ?

@bjamieson Thanks for the offer. Of course you could turn them into a book if you wanted to, but as an alternative could I ask you to work on the Wiki instead?

The wiki is (IMO) in need of quite a lot of work:

1. We have a lot of empty pages representing functionality which need documenting.

2. I have been away from Fabrik for a few years and not reviewed the wiki in detail since I returned, but there used to be a lot of examples which were based on Joomla 2.5 / Fabrik 2.5.

3. The Wiki hasn't got the greatest structure to find what you want - we have:

a. the Main Page which acts as a general description and is a good starting point for the absolute beginner, but finding what you need may not be easy; and
b. the Page List which is a brain dump and good if you know what page you are looking for

but not very much between.

And this is mirrored by the level of detail in the pages - the Main Page has an overview, the detailed pages lots of detail, but actually very little explanation that helps someone to learn bit by bit. And even a lot of the detail is lacking in real explanation.

4. The forums are full of great examples which would be great additions to the wiki, but difficult to find.

By comparison to videos, editing the wikis should be light on bandwidth and so quicker to use and easier on your bank balance).

What do you think?

Not a problem - I'm probably a fan of 'contextualised learning' so a task based process might be worth pursuing ?
I've not really go the shape of the wiki in my head, so suggestions helpful.

Did I say that I'm NOT in any way or shape an expert at Fabrik ?

It is probably a benefit that you are not an expert on Fabrik because you will have a much better idea of what Wiki shape will benefit newbies.

I do not really have a vision in my head about what the Wiki should look like. However I have just created a new page starting with a + to see where it comes on the Page List - and it comes at the beginning, so this would seem to be a good way to start a new additional top-down style of Wiki page which will essentially be a training topic. The great thing about a Wiki is that we can evolve it.

One way we could start this off is to replicate the current training vids in the wiki in this structure. Perhaps when we have done the very first set we can review and see if it is working. Is this something you want to take a shot at?

If I can help (I don't promise to do a lot of work because I am very busy this time), I'll be happy to participate on that. I use fabrik since more than 4 years. Maybe helping to participate to the wiki, or translations....

What is the process for the Wiki? I think I may have an access as editor? For the translations may I use Git or everything else?

The process for the Wiki is that you should have editing access to most (but not all) of the wiki pages when you are logged into the forums, and I think you can also add new pages. If you feel you need any advice about what / how to change it, then please ask here. But don't be afraid to experiment - the Wiki maintains a history so it is easy to undo anything that you think you got wrong.

Having been away from Fabrik for several years, I am not quite sure what the current situation is for translations. I am asking and will post here when I find out.

Thanks you for your reply Sophist. Concerning the translations, I do them on my own for my clients because many strings or functions still are not translated (I mean on frontend, on backend I don't care if it's english or other language)

Do you use Joomla language overrides, or do you update the language files? Certainly submitting the translations for inclusion in Fabrik would save you having to do them repeatedly on every site you create.

Then it definitely will be worth your while to submit PRs, because every time you update Fabrik you will lose these changes and have to reapply them. :)

Do you need any help in learning how to submit PRs?

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back