1. Hugh (cheesegrits) here. Thank you for all the good wishes. My back surgery was a success, post-op recovery is going well, and I'm getting stronger and feeling better every day. I hope to be getting back in the saddle and working support again over the next few days.
  2. IMPORTANT NOTE - we have made some changes in our github branch naming. The 'master' branch no longer exists, and is now called 'joomla25' (which is Fabrik 3.0). The 'joomla3' branch (which is Fabrik 3.2) remains unchanged. We have also removed all the other testing branches which had accuulated over the last few years. I have posted a thread in the Community forum for 3.0 with some more information, feel free to as questions there.

Small bug on date validation

Discussion in 'Fabrik 2.0 Beta Testing' started by nunocordeiro, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nunocordeiro New Member

Level: Community
    Hi guys,

There's a small incoherency on how the date element is being validated.
    My complaints are these:

a) Although the time fields matters for the validation, clicking on it does not trigger an AJAX validation.

b) When you have either the time or the date filled (but the other one is blank), the AJAX validation erroneously gives you a success message. However, when you click submit, it then warns you of the error.

Also, if one of the fields is empty, they are both cleared when you submit the form - I understand this may be a feature and not a bug...
    I don't care at all about this, but some other people might.... or not... meh...
  2. cheesegrits Support Gopher

This is a Rob issue. I washed my hands of this whole "separate time widget" on date inputs a long time ago, LOL! And I warned him. When he first started working on it, I said "this will open a whole nasty can of worms and make the code horribly complex". But did he listen? Nooooooo. Nobody ever listens to Uncle Hugh. Which is why Uncle Hugh has a specal "I Told You So" T-Shirt.

Personally, I think we should junk the separate time widget thing for the date element, people can use the time selector in the default calendar widget. And we should add a specific 'time' element if people want to enter date / time seperately.

-- hugh
  3. nunocordeiro New Member

That would be a cleaner solution, but some people (not me actually - I prefer your approach) may still want the date and the time on the same line in the form.

If you suddenly remove that possibility, these people won't like it.

From my experience, you can't EVER add a feature that you don't plan to keep. As soon as you remove it or break its behavior the few people that use it will scream and whine their heads off.

On the other hand you are providing a beta product... so... sudden feature changes come with the territory! =)
    A word of advice.... if you plan to change that, you have to do it before the final release.

Please let me know what I should expect regarding this bug.
  4. rob Administrator

Hugh, my old mate, you really really hate me for this one don't you :)
    Most of these issues had been already addressed, but they've obviously been broken again, I've added a ticket and will get round to looking at it as soon as i can

Cheers
    Rob
  5. cheesegrits Support Gopher

It wouldn't remove any ability. The built in calendar widget has a way of selecting time as well as date. It's just that Rob doesn't like that part of the built in widget (which is admittedly a little fiddly), so he disabled it, and added the separate time picker widget.

Which is OK in theory, but has caused nothing but headaches with the date element, for (IMHO) very little gain.

Rob - no! I don't hate you. It just means I'm not about to touch the date element code. :)

-- hugh
  6. rob Administrator

this appears to be fixed in the SVN now

closing this thread
    Cheers
    Rob
  7. nunocordeiro New Member

Hi Rob,

I believe there is still a slight issue here.
    When you create a 'not empty' validation and you leave the time field empty, the element is successfully validated. Is this behavior correct?

In my opinion, since the form creator chose to have the time (sub)element, the 'not empty' validation applies to both the date and the time and it should fail if either is empty. What do you think?

Keep up the good work.
  8. rob Administrator

nope disagree :) - not empty tests if no data has been inputted - if you have filled in the date but not the time then for me that should validate as correct`
  9. toddski07 New Member

Ok....I'll ask the next question then...so if you have a date and time entry how do you validate that someone actually entered a time? (Considering they entered a date but no time....and a time entry is required to not be empty.)

The not empty should pass if only a date was entered IF the time field is not shown....but if the time field is shown on the form then it should also be included in the not empty validation check.
  10. nunocordeiro New Member

ok Rob,

I guess that could be a possible interpretation. It doesn't bother me.
    But toddski07 does pose a valid question...
  11. rob Administrator

use a regex validation :)
  12. toddski07 New Member

Thanks for the tip.
  13. nunocordeiro New Member

I guess this is issue is closed then.
    Closing thread...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.