[SOLVED] Calc element to return multiple results

Mustafa_s

Hi guys,

I'm new to databases and queries, I'm trying to learn how to display some results depending on a WHERE clause. My database structure is as follows. Basically put I'm telling it to get the comment that matches a variable:

VveV1Qb.png

When I run the following code I get the first result of comment "XXXXXXXXX", which works good but how can I get the last result instead? I've been hitting my head against the wall for the past 3 hours trying different combinations with no luck.

Code:
$id = '{rowid}';
$db = JFactory::getDbo();
$query = $db->getQuery( true );
$query->select('comment')->from('oyhvg_fabrik_comments')->where('row_id = ' . $db->quote($id));
$db->setQuery($query);
$comment = $db->loadresult();
return $comment;

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

OK I solved it by finding this link: http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/common-php-tasks/

This is the code that worked for me, hope it helps others too:

Code:
$id = '{rowid}';
$db = JFactory::getDbo();
$query = $db->getQuery(true);
$query
    ->select(array('comment', 'name'))
    ->from('oyhvg_fabrik_comments')
    ->where('row_id = ' . $db->quote($id));
$db->setQuery($query);
$rows = $db->loadObjectList();

$list = array();
foreach ($rows as $row)
{
    $list[] = "<li>" . $row->comment . " " . $row->name . "</li>";
}
return "<ol>" . implode($list) . "</ol>";

Just so you know - rather than just stumbling upon some code you could copy and paste that worked;) -
The problem with your original code was the function used to load the query data -
You were using
$comment = $db->loadResult();
When it should have been
$comment = $db->loadObjectList();
or simpler yet,
$comment = $db->loadColumn();
because you only needed results from one column of the table.
loadResult() returns only the 1st column of the 1st row of the results (as a string - never an array or object). It is intended to be used when you only expect to return a single value from 1 specific column from 1 specific row.

The first "Selecting..." link below is where you'd find the correct loadXxxx() function to use in Joomla 3.x - depending on the circumstance of what you are trying to retrieve.

I still keep these 3 links from docs.joomla.org bookmarked...
Selecting data using JDatabase
Inserting, Updating and Removing data using JDatabase
Joomla API17Platform

As my aging mind keeps playing with me, they are still a frequent reference, and essential to understanding how to use and work with Joomla Databases - complete with simple examples.

Once you have an better understanding of how to interact with Joomla database tables and other aspects of the Joomla API , any customizing done with fabrik will become a breeze.:cool:

Bauer thanks for the heads up, I actually used https://docs.joomla.org/Selecting_data_using_JDatabase last night in addition to the Common PHP tasks link, combining the two got me to my result :)

In any case, you're correct in that those links are invaluable. Practice makes perfect, I'm having fun learning the Joomla API and customization with Fabrik.

This cheat sheet helps too :)

Code:
$db->loadObject() ? returns first row as an object. e.g. $obj->field.
$db->loadObjectList() ? returns resultset as an object. For multiple records.
$db->loadResult() ? returns first field of first row as a value. A single value
$db->loadRow() ? returns the first row as an indexed array.
$db->loadAssoc() - returns first row as an associated array.
$db->loadAssocList() - returns resultset as an associated array. For multiple records.
$db->Execute($sql) - Execute sql that doesn't return anything. Pass sql as parameter.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back