• Hello Fabrik Community

Fabrik is now in the hands of the development team that brought you Fabrik for Joomla 4. We have recently transitioned the Fabrik site over to a new server and are busy trying to clean it up. We have upgraded the site to Joomla 4 and are running the latest version of Fabrik 4. We have also upgraded the Xenforo forum software to the latest version. Many of the widgets you might have been used to on the forum are no longer operational, many abandoned by the developers. We hope to bring back some of the important ones as we have time.

Exciting times to be sure.

The Fabrik 4.0 Official release is now available. In addition, the Fabrik codebase is now available in a public repository. See the notices about these in the announcements section

We wish to shout out a very big Thank You to all of you who have made donations. They have really helped. But we can always use more...wink..wink..

Also a big Thank You to those of you who have been assisting others in the forum. This takes a very big burden off of us as we work on bugs, the website and the future of Fabrik.

[Solved] Special Char validation with repeat group or bad collation

georgie

Hello

Please it seems "Replace" on special char validation does not work with repeat group.
Indeed my joined table is not in the same collation.

Is it related ? I have tried some settings, without success (Force collation...).
Do you know that, or is me and my settings?

Thanks

Hello

Thanks. For example I try to replace "?" by "À".

My main table is in "utf8_general_ci", no problem for its fields.

But my joined table is in "latin1_swedish_ci", plugin does not work for her.

Thanks in advance

Yeah, I have a feeling latin1_swedish_ci isn't going to work with that plugin, as we use a simple str_replace(), which is only "safe" for UTF8.

To handle non-UTF8, the plugin would have to be written to use things like mb_detect_encoding(), and then setting the encoding, and using things like mb_ereg_replace().

Can you change the encoding on that table?

Note that just setting the default encoding doesn't work to change existing tables, you have to specifically convert the table with something like ...

ALTER DATABASE your_table_name CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci

-- hugh

OK

Thanks but I think I can not change the encoding table. Indeed it is a third-part DB, which point toward other tools.

Please what do you advice to me? Are there legitimate reasons for staying in latin1_swedish_ci encoding?

Are there legitimate reasons for staying in latin1_swedish_ci encoding?

None that I can think of. I strongly suspect it is only in that encoding because MySQL happened to have that as the default when installed. MySQL was originally written by a Swedish company, and the default was set before multibyte encoding became common. So unless you are actually using the Swedish language and don't need UTF8 multibyte encoding, then there are actually good reasons NOT to use it, and change the encoding to something sensible (like utf8_general_ci).

If for some bizarre reason they really can't change the encoding, I could probably work out a way of getting the specialchars validation to work, but it would incur hourly development costs (probably about an hour).

-- hugh

OK many thanks!

Thanks also for your interesting proposition (dedicated development), I note, but with your advices I can ask to third-part tool developers why this collation, and certainly we will change it for utf8_general_ci.

Thanks again

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back