1. We suggest you do NOT update to Joomla 3.8.10 until we can resolve an issue it causes with caching in Fabrik. If you do install it, you'll need to disable Joomla's "System Cache" in the global System settings.
  2. Apologies for the recent server outage, a planned migration by our host provider to a new location turned into a bit of a nightmare.

Store IP Address onSubmit?

Discussion in 'Completed' started by RWalters, May 2, 2009.

1. RWalters

RWalters Beta Tester Extraordinaire

Level: Community
    I was thinking this would make for a great 'IP Plugin,' where is captures the IP address onSubmit and stores it in the table where the form data are stored...like an extension of the 'user' element (hmmm, a hidden user IP element, perhaps?) :)

Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR") %

2. cheesegrits

cheesegrits Support Gopher Staff Member

Level: Professional
    Yup, that's a good idea.

How would you want to handle editing? Simplest option is to have a 'update on edit?' option, so you could either keep the original IP intact, or replace that whenever the record is edited. If you want both, you'd add a second IP plugin, with one set to 'update on edit' and one not.

Of course what that approach doesn't provide is an actual 'audit trail', i.e. a chronological list of all IP's that have edited that record. Which would be possible, it's just a little more work to provide the internal data separation.

Anyway, I vote a strong "me too" on this one.

-- hugh

3. cheesegrits

As I had a need for this as well, I went ahead and added the new 'fabrikip' element to SVN. It's not a 'core' plugin, so it won't install itself with any ZIP's. So until we create a plugin ZIP for it in the downloads section, you'll have to make your own ZIP of the 'fabrikip' folder from SVN and install that thru the Fabrik Plugin installer.

Minimally tested, but seems to work. Has the 'update on edit' option as described above.

-- hugh

4. RWalters

Wow, Hugh, that rocks. I'll fire up some IP proxys and take it for a ride and report back any issues.

5. cheesegrits

OK. Obviously report any issues you find, I'll get 'em fixed if I can.

-- hugh

6. nunocordeiro

nunocordeiro New Member

This is AWESOME! Thanks Hugh. I'll add this to the top of my development priorities. =)

7. Ajyamal

Ajyamal New Member

Thanks. I agree !

8. RWalters

You guys test it out? I still can't get the values stored in the db...the element works great on the front end, shows the read-only field with the localhost IP address populated, but onSubmit, it's not storing the value in the db...null for the previous records, but an empty value for the IP now.

Anyone able to replicate this?

9. rob

rob Administrator Staff Member

Ah yes well that was silly - the field was disabled which means its values arent posted with the form.
    I've fixed that now in the SVN

Cheers
    Rob

10. cheesegrits

Saves fine for me, on new row and edit?

-- hugh

11. cheesegrits

Oh, I see ... I didn't have any ACL's set on mine, which is why it was always working, even prior to Rob's fix.

-- hugh

12. ranwilli

ranwilli Member

I cannot seem to find this IP Address plug-in in the downloads... Am I just missing it, or is it not available yet?

I surely could use it.

13. peamak

peamak Moderator

You can find it in SVN (there's a thread about that in the FAQ forum)