thumbs element in search form

enzo2016

Hi,
could the thumbs element, into a search form, select records with a number of like bigger or smaller than a quantity? E.g.: the user type a number into the thumbs element (which is in the search form) and the output of the research should show all of the records with a number of like bigger (or smaller) than the quantity typed in the search form. Could it be possible?

Thanks,
Enzo

Don't think so, no.

Out of interest, are you doing "creator rating"? ie. does only the creator assign the rating, or is "user rating"?

-- hugh

I made "user rating". It could be useful for watching only the records with more like or few like. It could be a way to avoid reading bad records. Maybe you are right because bad or good records is a personal choice.
I thought linking a dropdown element (including options like: > and <) with the thumbs element.

-- Enzo

Ooops, sorry, I was thinking of the ratings element.

The problem is, the thumbs element (or the ratings element in user rating mode) doesn't store a value in the main table, it stores multiple values in the #__fabrik_thumbs table (or #__fabrik_ratings), which then get averaged / summed when the element is displayed, by looking up the rows for that element in the fabrik_thumbs table. So it's not something that can be filtered for in the main query.

At least, not without writing a couple of new methods in the element model to handle it (a getQuery() to build the query into the main list query for summing the related data) and a getFilterValue()). And that would be tricky as well, because the thumbs element has to be able to account for both thumbs up and thumbs down. So we'd only be able to account for one of those as the element's "value".

Bottom line ... not easy, several hours work.

-- hugh

Thanks for the explanation.
It would have been useful, but not essential.
I understand, it is a lot of work. So it is not necessary now, but maybe it could be implemented in a future next version.

-- Enzo

It's a feature I'd only implement if someone funded the work. My calculation has to be "how many subscribers will feature X generate", for how many months, at $xx/month, versus "how much does it cost me at my break even burn rate to implement". Two hours work translates to about 10 standard subscribers for a month. And unfortunately, I doubt it would be a feature which would gain any subscribers. So I can only afford to do it if someone pays for the time.

-- hugh

Ok Hugh, now I can understand. This feature would be useful only for the subscribers using the thumbs element and not for all of them, but only somebody.
I am happy to participate to the funding of this feature as soon as I can afford it because it would be nice to be able to use it.

Thanks,
-- Enzo

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back