Unconsistency between tooltip explanations

lcollong

FabriKant d'applications web
Hi,

In the list prefilter setup, there is a choice to have menu/module overriding this setup or not. Also it's default value is <yes> for compatibility reason, I set this to <no> as I don't want menu nor module showing more data than I choose to in the list setup. This is what the tooltip says.

However, in the module setting, the tooltip says that whatever prefilter is set at the list level, it will be overriden by the local prefilter setup. First of all tooltips are not consistent. But the real concern is that the module does not care the "overriden by menu/modules" choice in the list.

Another point in the module setup are the "Show intro", "show outro" and "show filters" switches. Whatever you set, they show up !

Thanks,

Laurent

Attachments

• list setting.PNG
    list setting.PNG
    24.1 KB · Views: 22
  • module setting.PNG
    module setting.PNG
    23 KB · Views: 24
Yup, confirmed.
The menu is working as expected (menu prefilter "added" to list prefilter) but the module prefilter is still overriding the list prefilter.

Module's Show filters/outro is working on my site, the show intro setting is ignored

Thanks. It's a dev server. I'll do a full backup and upgrade to j3.8 and to github last Fabrik release and do some tests.

And keep an eye on github for the next few days, as I fix the inevitable issues.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

I've just updated my dev site to j3.8 and fabrik to github master branch using wget from SSH.
So far, everything is working as expected on the site. But did not have time yet to drive deep test.

Regarding the prefilter overriding stuff :
if the module prefilter start with "AND" ie "AND published ='1'" the new filter is applied on top of the existing list ones as expected (switch to "no" in the list setup).
But if you start the module prefilter with "OR" (default value) ie "OR published='1'' it shows all the table records which have published set to 1. Whatever are the list prefilter setup.

From a pure SQL view I think we should have :
with allow override set to "yes" (default) :
Code:
select * from table where (list prefilter condition1 AND/OR list prefilter condition2 AND/OR...) OR (module prefilter condition1 AND/OR module prefilter condition2 AND/OR ....)

if set to "no" :
Code:
select * from table where (list prefilter condition1 AND/OR list prefilter condition2 AND/OR...) AND (module prefilter condition1 AND/OR module prefilter condition2 AND/OR ....)

where as we currently have :
Code:
select * from table where (list prefilter condition1 AND/OR list prefilter condition2 AND/OR... AND/OR module prefilter condition1 AND/OR module prefilter condition2 AND/OR ....)

without parenthesis.

Intro is always shown whatever switch position
Outro works as expected
Filter also.

Well, I can't change the behavior of the "override" option, that would screw over existing sites. That option is always going to mean that the module/menu filters either completely replace, or add to the list prefilters.

The main issue is that "grouped to previous" isn't available for menu/module filters. I can't remember why. Probably we were being lazy. The menu/module filters were designed with simplicity in mind. "Show all active users", "show all blue widgets", etc. I think our mindset was if you wanted complex filtering, copy the list and set prefilters.

I may take a look at adding "grouped to previous" into menu/module filters, which would allow you to do what you need, by grouping all your list prefilters, and all your module filters (except the first one). Which should bust it up into (list prefilters) AND/OR (module filters).

-- hugh

My aim is exactly to show some short extract of a menu based regular list.
I really think list construction prefilters should act as a SQL view. Not giving access to excluded rows to whatever module, menu, cron scripts or else is using this list through the Fabrik framework.
But I can understand the reasons why it may not happen.
The solution to duplicate the list with its own prefilter works very well and make sense. But it duplicates everything including plenty of unwanted elements. It makes visibility, maintenance and, may be (?), performance of the whole application less efficient.
I'm building up a dashboard page showing different data in half a dozen of modules. My first intent was to use module setup facilities. Hence the thread to point the tooltip inconsistent explanation.
I can't use it this way. It's too "dangerous". It's a kind of software as a service and each personal data set as to be independent of the others. It may occurs that, after some list modifications, I'll forget to check a module which may let some unwanted data appear due to its "direct access" to the full data set.
I'll construct the dashboard with either dedicated lists or SQL view or maybe some other solution. I'll see.
Thanks.

As I said, I agree that it'd be nice to be able to group the module/menu filters. Which is the only missing in piece in your description of what you want to be able to do. It's just quite a lot of work.

What I can't do is change the behavior of the existing "override" option that you suggested, which would break a lot of existing sites.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back