1. Fabrik 3.9 has been released. If you have updated Joomla to 3.9, this is a required update.
    Dismiss Notice

Using user/pass from a forum database

Discussion in 'Standard Support' started by dantastic, Dec 8, 2010.

1. dantastic

dantastic New Member

Level: Community
    I would like to allow my users to submit certain forms if they specify their correct forum (IPB based) credentials, which are stored in a different database, but on the same server.

I guess I am looking for something similar to what you guys did with the Fabrikar.com portal, which seems to use the vBulletin credentials.

Can someone point me into the right direction please? Thanks!

2. cheesegrits

cheesegrits Support Gopher Staff Member

Level: Community
    Hmmmmmm. What we use is JFusion, which provides single signon between J! and a variety of other products like vBulletin, WordPress, etc.

I may be wrong, but I think JFusion support phpBB. So you may be able to go about it that way, although this would essentially force all your J! users to also be phpBB users, and to be logged in, and restrict those forms to Registered users. Which may not be what you want.

If you literally need to just check phpBB credentials on individual form submission, that would require a custom form submission script. Which may or may not be difficult, depending how phpBB handles login. Could either be done with some CURL scripting, i.e. faking an http request to the phpBB login script ... or (and probably easier) by checking the phpBB code, seeing how they hash their passwords into their users table. Assuming you ask your user to supply their phpBB username/password in the Fabrik form, you can then just hash the password the same way, and compare it with the stored password in the phpBB users table.

-- hugh