Which version to use?

Discussion in 'Standard Support' started by spletcher, Dec 26, 2008.

1. spletcher New Member

Level: Standard
    I'm a new subscriber and am interested in using Fabrik on a live site. I'm moving a Joomla site from Joomla 1.15 to Joomla 1.5x.

It appears that Fabrik 2, while native to Joomla 1.5 is not recommended for a live site yet. Is this true? Can I use the Fabrik 1.6 in Joomla 1.5 without trouble?

Is this what you currently recommend?

Thanks in advance.
  2. cheesegrits Support Gopher

Level: Community
    As long as you run the SVN version, and you aren't pushing the envelope too hard, 2.0b3 (with latest SVN code, see my sig for details) should be OK for a live site. There are still bugs, but the core functionality is solid enough.

FYI, 1.0.6 doesn't run on J! 1.5.

-- hugh
  3. murph0 New Member

Level: Standard
    If you can manage to work out the details of retrieving a fresh revision from SVN, then you are likely safe to use Fabrik 2. I've used a rev as far back as three hundred something on a live site. Mind you, once deployed, I did NOT update the code, once it was working I left it as it was. Things are much more stable now, but regressions do pop up from time to time, so be aware.

I just used rev 915 on a live site, for a form that will be in use for a few weeks. If you are going through the pain of converting from J 1.0.15 to J 1.5.8, you'll benefit in the future from any minor brain damage you go through with Fabrik 2 right now. There's plenty you can do with Fabrik that simply isn't possible otherwise, unless you are writing Joomla extensions from scratch in PHP. I predict that you will be using Fabrik frequently in the future, so you should indeed consider starting now. People who aren't using Fabrik will be behind the curve. Hooray for Fabrik !