Fabrik for wordpress

We did look at trying a while back, but the amount of work would be too much. It would basically be a rewrite from scratch.

-- hugh

It's probably even more complicated than that.

For example you would need to decide whether to create something compatible with Fabrik (for Joomla) so you could port applications between Joomla and Wordpress, or to produce a plugin for Wordpress that provided similar functionality but had no compatibility.

The most obvious issue if you wanted compatibility would be the completely different security models - I think it is doubtful that you could find a way to align them at all, much less doing so without making huge compromises elsewhere.

But it is certainly possible to create a Fabrik-like plugin for Wordpress - just a massive amount of work. You would probably want to make the Wordpress plugin aligned with how wordpress internals work - which then implies an extensive redesign of the Fabrik internal architecture.

Another radically different alternative would be an independent product which would run as an entirely separate web service from Joomla or Wordpress, but with Joomla and Wordpress plugins to provide integration and display functionality. Again, the different security models would likely prove problematical, as would any functionality requiring e.g. joins with the native Joomla / Wordpress user tables.

To do any of the above would be a MASSIVE amount of work - indeed, IMO even the architectural design alone would be a lot of work as it would need to be carefully designed to avoid security vulnerabilities.

BUT...

Wouldn't it be great if such a product did exist.

I have recently started to discover Wordpress and as far as I could search there is no similar to Fabrik plugin.

The only one I found that just touch the surface of Fabrik, is WP Data Access plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-data-access/) which allow DB management from the WP Dashboard and displaying list data in frontend with shortcodes.

I am not a developer to judge, but I would like to believe that it's worth for Fabrik development team to start implementing a basic Wordpress only - with no J! compatibilty - Fabrik plugin and gradually add functionality to it.

Considering the amount of effort required simply to maintain the existing J3 version of Fabrik, and the extra effort required to enhance it to work with J4, I simply cannot see the Fabrik team having sufficient bandwidth to create a Wordpress equivalent of Fabrik.

Yup, not going to happen. If we were to build something for WP, we'd start from scratch. The only thing it would have in common with the J! version would be the name. But as Sophist says, we're not going to have the time to do it any time soon. Id go as far as saying never, unless J! withers and dies, and we have no choice but to move our own clients to WP.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back