• Hello Fabrik Community

Fabrik is now in the hands of the development team that brought you Fabrik for Joomla 4. We have recently transitioned the Fabrik site over to a new server and are busy trying to clean it up. We have upgraded the site to Joomla 4 and are running the latest version of Fabrik 4. We have also upgraded the Xenforo forum software to the latest version. Many of the widgets you might have been used to on the forum are no longer operational, many abandoned by the developers. We hope to bring back some of the important ones as we have time.

Exciting times to be sure.

The Fabrik 4.0 Official release is now available. In addition, the Fabrik codebase is now available in a public repository. See the notices about these in the announcements section

We wish to shout out a very big Thank You to all of you who have made donations. They have really helped. But we can always use more...wink..wink..

Also a big Thank You to those of you who have been assisting others in the forum. This takes a very big burden off of us as we work on bugs, the website and the future of Fabrik.

fabrik templating system

Delerium

I'm currently trying to write a flexbox based custom template for forms using the bootstrap template as a base, but I'm finding it nearly impossible to do because of how fabrik is written. After exploring the bootstrap template, I came to the realization that many design aspects that are typically restricted to being in a template are instead generated elsewhere in the plugin, in places that I don't have access to modify from the custom template.

An example is elements and their labels, which is written similar to this: "<?php echo $element->label;?>". This label's tag structure and construction is not created anywhere within the template system, but is instead generated in the back end with hard coded bootstrap css classes.

My question is, why is so much of the template being generated outside of the actual template (with hard coded bootstrap classes), and how do I work around it when creating my own form templates that don't use bootstrap?

If you want to keep form functions you must keep contructions Fabrik is relying on.
But beside of the templates there are several layouts which can be overridden.
http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/index/#designers
http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/jlayouts/

Additionally you can use e.g. $element->label_raw
The layout overrides is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Edit: I looked into this and at first I was thinking the overrides could be contained in the fabrik template, but upon looking at it, it's instead overriding in the master joomla template. If I use the master template override, it would be applied to every form in the entire site instead of just on that one template, which is not what I want. Is there any way of overriding a layout from within the templates stored in com_fabrik/layouts/views/form/tmpl/{template name}? You see, I'm looking to keep all of the fabrik design changes contained in one place. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I eventually gave up on this and decided to load bootstrap from my fabrik templates instead of my main site template, thus giving me the ability to define the load order of the css layouts. That way I could make changes to bootstrap's style from within my template and have it take effect by loading my template's stylesheet last. Not ideal, but it works.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back