• Hello Fabrik Community

Fabrik is now in the hands of the development team that brought you Fabrik for Joomla 4. We have recently transitioned the Fabrik site over to a new server and are busy trying to clean it up. We have upgraded the site to Joomla 4 and are running the latest version of Fabrik 4. We have also upgraded the Xenforo forum software to the latest version. Many of the widgets you might have been used to on the forum are no longer operational, many abandoned by the developers. We hope to bring back some of the important ones as we have time.

Exciting times to be sure.

The Fabrik 4.0 Official release is now available. In addition, the Fabrik codebase is now available in a public repository. See the notices about these in the announcements section

We wish to shout out a very big Thank You to all of you who have made donations. They have really helped. But we can always use more...wink..wink..

Also a big Thank You to those of you who have been assisting others in the forum. This takes a very big burden off of us as we work on bugs, the website and the future of Fabrik.

setting a form value (that sticks) with javascript in another element.

skyrun

i would like to change element B (completeddate) based on the value of element A (status) if B is blank. so i have put the following javascript on element A (status) that fires when the status is changed:

JavaScript:
/* Set Date Completed if status changed to 3, 4 or 6 AND date completed not set */
requirejs(['fab/fabrik'], function () {

/*console.log('status: CHANGE fired');*/

var wostatus = document.getElementById('srms_work_orders___status');
  var completeddate = document.getElementById('srms_work_orders___completeddate_cal');

/*console.log('status=' + wostatus.value);
  console.log('completeddate=' + completeddate.value);*/

if ((wostatus.value == 3 || wostatus.value == 4 || wostatus.value == 6) && (completeddate.value === '' || typeof completeddate.value === 'undefined')) {
    /*console.log('set to todays date');*/
    var today = new Date();
    var dd = String(today.getDate()).padStart(2, '0');
    var mm = String(today.getMonth() + 1).padStart(2, '0'); /*January is 0*/
    var yy = today.getFullYear().toString().substr(-2);
    completeddate.value = mm + "/" + dd + "/" + yy;
    /* TRY ANOTHER WAY, STILL NOT WORKING*/
    var $completeddate = $('srms_work_orders___completeddate');
    /* Copy value */
    $completeddate.value = mm + "/" + dd + "/" + yy;
    console.log('setting jquery completed date');
    /* Since we changed the value, trigger any change events on the price_used field */
    $completeddate.fireEvent('change');
  }
});

so this code is on the status element set to fire when status is changed (which works).
the js code above correctly puts today's date into 'completeddate' (which is a date type element) when i change status to 3, 4 or 6 AND the date is blank. then i can save the form and it all works. that's the 'normal' use-case.

you'll see that i am attempting to edit the fabrik field using the DOM and using jQuery. i wouldn't need to do both of course, just trying mutiple ways of doing the same thing because of the issue below. this could be related... also note that if i check and update srms_work_orders___completeddate (vs not srms_work_orders___completeddate_cal, adding a _cal, which i can see in the dom is added to that field, probably because it's a calendar?) then it us 'undefined'. i have to put the _cal on there to get data.

my issue is the following use case that i can't get to work.
1) i type in a datecompleted of 6/11/19 (for example) on the form and save it.
2) i open the form to the same record and blank out the datecompleted manually.
3) then i change status to one of the status' so that datecompleted fills in as today's date (6/19/19 in this case) by the javascript above.

so far so good. the screen looks right and 06/19/19 is in the datecompleted field... however...

4) when i press 'save' or 'apply' on the form, the date changes back immediately to the LAST SAVED value '06/11/19' on the screen and it also saves 06/11/19 (not the value that was there when i pressed save) in the table. ignoring the value displayed on the form. if i change the date by typing in 06/19/19 or selecting that on the calendar, then it works. but the .js is not changing something deeper than what's displayed on the form...

Last edited:
Yeah, you need to call the update() method for the Fabrik element object. Just changing the DOM inputs mean that our internal values for the date don't get updated.

So instead of ...

Code:
var completeddate = document.getElementById('srms_work_orders___completeddate_cal');
completeddate.value = mm + "/" + dd + "/" + yy;

... do ...

Code:
var completedate = Fabrik.getBlock('form_X').formElements.get('srms_work_orders___completeddate');
completedate.update(yy + '-' + mm + '-' + dd);

Note that you have to use Y-m-d format, and the date JS will re-format it with your 'form format' for display. Also that it will assume a time of 00:00:00, which may or may not be what you need (time zones, how you have your date element configured).

Also, if that JS is in the element JS settings themselves (not in a form_X.js file), you don't need to the requirejs() wrapper. That's only needed when you have code that uses the Fabrik global object, in a separate file like ./components/com_fabrik/js/form_X.js, or in a template file, to make sure Fabrik has been loaded before your code executes. If the code is run from within the element JS event handling, you are guaranteed that Fabrik has already loaded.

-- hugh

Oh, also, if the code is in the element JS events, you can do ...

Code:
var completedate = this.form.formElements.get('srms_work_orders___completeddate');

... rther than Fabrik.getBlock('form_X'), ie. you don't need to hard code the form ID, as 'this' is a reference to the element object, and this.form is a reference to the form object.

-- hugh

that worked, THANKS!

may want to update that on the wiki about calling the 'update' method, or i can (if you're not picky about it being 100% accurate ;-) or maybe it's there and i just missed it.

could have sworn this was working, but it's not now.

WORKS: var completeddate = document.getElementById('srms_work_orders___completeddate_cal'); // returns 07/01/19
DOES NOT WORK: var completeddate = this.form.formElements.get('srms_work_orders___completeddate'); // returns null
DOES NOT WORK: var completeddate2 = this.form.formElements.get('srms_work_orders___completeddate_cal'); // returns null
DOES NOT WORK: var completeddate3 = this.form.formElements.get('srms_work_orders___completeddate_raw'); // returns null

and with the one that works to get the value (getElementByID), then this line does not work:
completeddate.update(yyyy + '-' + mm + '-' + dd);

gives error completeddate.update is not a function.

this works, but seems a bit redundant. seems i have to read the value using the DOM and then get the element pointer to call .update method on to update it for fabrik.

/* only way to read to get current value */

/* only way to refer to value and be able to update */
var completeddate2update = this.form.formElements.get('srms_work_orders___completeddate');
completeddate2update.update(yyyy + '-' + mm + '-' + dd);

Works fine for me:

https://www.screencast.com/t/h429DeWh

In case the font isn't readable, what I typed is ...

Code:
<< Fabrik.blocks.form_2_1.formElements.get('fab_main_test___date_format').getValue()
>> "2019-07-27 00:00:00"
<< Fabrik.blocks.form_2_1.formElements.get('fab_main_test___date_format').update("2019-07-03")
>> undefined

... which as you can see, gets and sets the value correctly.

You can replace the "Fabrik.blocks.form_2_1" part with either Fabrik.getBlock() or this.form, as explained previously.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back