display element with custom link does not show

Status
Not open for further replies.

susannanam

hi all,

i try to have a display element in my list with a custom link, preferably with a custom icon. please see all my settings in the pics... the field remains empty and i dont really know what is wrong...i actually followed a hint in the forum to rather go for the display element than the button. hopefully someone can give me a hint what is wrong... thanks

susanne

Attachments

• statement3.PNG
    statement3.PNG
    10.9 KB · Views: 199
  • statement2.PNG
    statement2.PNG
    25.9 KB · Views: 210
  • statement1.PNG
    statement1.PNG
    3.4 KB · Views: 196
1. do you get the correct link if "Replace with icons"=no?
2. if you want a static icon (i.e. the same icon in every record) see the static icon tooltip

Static icon file (no .ext!)
Insert a file name which you want to show in table view instead of value or label text. The file name must be WITHOUT EXTENSION and the file must located in the Joomla 'images' folder or in one of its subfolders! Example: you use an element that links to some other website (always the same) and you want to show this website's logo instead of link text. Assuming the site is Wikipedia and the needed file is wikipedia.png you write just: wikipedia (or: subfolder/path/wikipedia)

So do you have any image called "Dollar-Sign.jpg" (or .png) in the image folder?
I'm not sure if "-" is a valid character (better use "_").

1. do you get the correct link if "Replace with icons"=no?
2. if you want a static icon (i.e. the same icon in every record) see the static icon tooltip

So do you have any image called "Dollar-Sign.jpg" (or .png) in the image folder?
I'm not sure if "-" is a valid character (better use "_").

Hoi troester (we are both swiss :))

thanks for your answer. i have tried "Replace with icons" no and yes and both do not show. for security, i have elminiated the dash of t he icon, so now it is DollarSign only (and yes, it exists in the image folder) but still does not show. i would like to have a static icon... for some reason it still does not show :( what else could be the reason?

IF no link is shown with "Replace with icons"=no there must be something else wrong.

Steps to do:
set "Replace with icons" = no + link to details = no
-> is there anything in "Statements" in your list view?
If there's no content in this field there's no custom link and no icon.

Steps to do:
set "Replace with icons" = no + link to details = no
-> is there anything in "Statements" in your list view?
If there's no content in this field there's no custom link and no icon.

hoi troester,

sorry for the late reply! the element statement is a display field, it is suppose to have the custom link in order to open that statement. so the field itself is empty. the linked statement entry is existing in the tables. so if it doesn't show, does that mean the custom link is faulty as it checks already its availability?

susanne

If the element is empty there's nothing to click on (no link text) and nothing to replace with an icon, so Fabrik doesn't create a link.

Try to put some text into your display element.

If the element is empty there's nothing to click on (no link text) and nothing to replace with an icon, so Fabrik doesn't create a link.

Try to put some text into your display element.

thank you troester. i think i then totally misunderstood the display element :((( what element shall i then use in my case please? all i need is a link to another list where a statement will be shown (id must be handed over). so i first went for the link but then i found an entry saying, the display element with custom link would be better... but now i am confused... can you please advise me? thanks

susanne

Did you try to put some (static) link text in the display element?
yesssssssssssss thank you troester, that was the trick :) i just added the word "show" as default and now it shows the wording or if i select the icon, it now also shows that one correctly :) my link is now not correct yet but i hope i can sort that out, glad it is working :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back