Creating Field from two other fields

You need to rebuild the Lists in FB - since the tables are different from the original ones. They have an aa_ in front of each table - to distinguish them from the original tables - since there are additional columns in some tables. So:
For each table:
1) Create a new List
2) For each new List, go to the Elements function, and database join those columns that are requiring databasejoins. Create the cascading dropdown for the element identified in the pdf document - supplied in the last post.
If you following exactly the settings set out in the pdf document, you will find that the cascading dropdown will work. (I have verified that).

Regarding your comment above 'The EID field is entered in the Employee database and must conform to the value in our accounting software which I cannot change.' If all the fields in this table are imported, then EID is a reference ID field - but cannot be the same as the mysql field 'id' for that Employee table in the FB context. You cannot have the mysql 'id' for that table identical to the EID column. It won't work.
Your database joins from other tables to the Employees table with then link to a Value of EID and a Label of the full name of the employee.

Alastair

Unfortunately I cannot figure out the PDF file you sent as the formatting is weird looking when I open the file.
The File looks like this:

2086 date_time AA_Employees date date time 1 0
dropdown
simple
Y-m-d
Y-m-d H:i:s
H:i
text
gd2
/
/
none
_self
id
SCN2 http://localhost/index.php/fb-elements-register?resetfilters=0&clearorde...
2 of
I am not sure how to interpret this.

You will notice in the list above that the datetime element is referred to.
(What you are looking at in the pdf tables are the default settings that apply to each element.)

Ignore all the plugins that are not either 'databasejoin' or 'cascading dropdown'.

To set up do the following. For example, on pdf page 4, for element name; JOBID, group: aa_employees, plugin: databasejoin, label: JOBID, Table: aa_jobs, Value: id, Label: JOBNAME.

SO - In Fabrik, Select the List for AA_Employees. Select the Data Tab.
Under value: Select the value of 'id'
Under Label: Select the value of .JOBNAME'

Once you have done one of these, you will get the idea pretty quickly.

Alastair

I seem to be missing something here. Under the data tab (Which is to the left of the fields you can select and change.) the data "tab" is just below the details tab followed by the Publishing, Plug-ins, and Access tabs. When I select the Data tab the Tabs across the top change to Data, , Group by, Pre-filter, Joins, and Related Data tabs.When I select the Data tab at the top the fields I am presented with are Connection, which is set to site database, Dtabse Table which is set to aa_employees, Primary key which is set to id, Auto increment which is set to yes. I see no value field or Label field. I have checked the other top tabs and I see no fields with Value or Label fields in any of them. If you could give me a step by step to do one join and possibly one cascading droo down I would be able to figure out how to do the rest but right now I am in the weeds as far as where to go.

At this point you need to reach out for that (proverbial) cup of coffee and get to grips with the excellent range of tutorials on this subject. (Refer to http://fabrikar.com/help/tutorials)

Note: Much of the tutorial material is still based on earlier versions of Fabrik - so the mental 'change in gear' required to interpret what you see in FB 3.1 can be quite daunting.

For my own use, as part of my own journey into Fabrik I created a Master-Detail tutorial (See http://www.fabrikar.com/forums/inde...aster-detail-tutorial-jm-32-fb-3-1-rc2.37082/) and a mindmap of FB 3.1 RC2 (see http://www.fabrikar.com/forums/inde...ature-specification-for-fabrik-3-1-rc2.37165/).

During December 2013 I spent about 200 hours getting to know Fabrik. There is no shortcut that I know of in getting to understand this hugely complex Joomla! component. Your effort investment in this learning exercise will be well rewarded.

Another alternative is to take out a subscription (Standard, or Professional) and get some hand-holding by the experts who created FB.

Alastair

I really need help with this, I have tried this a few times now but have not got anywhere. I am new to fabrik so please forgive me if I am asking something stupid.
I have a table called t_property, two feilds called First_Line_Address and Second_Line_Address. I want both feilds to show up on Single_Line_Address.
$Single_Line_Address = '{t_Property___First_Line_Address}'." ".'{t_Property___Second_Line_Address}';
return $Single_Line_Address;

Attachments

• image 1.png
    image 1.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 228
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back