One list / form for multiple users?

chrisyork

Hi,
I want to be able to allow different users to complete different parts of the same form, but only to see the fields that they have access to when completing the form. I'm thinking of hierarchy based permissions to control one form rather than having to set up multiple lists (and therefore have multiple elements linked to the same table). I have managed to get myself over 500 elements by trying different tactics such as a new list for each access level, so I'm looking for ways to slim down my somewhat obese project.

When I set the access for these fields 'above' the registered users (e.g. special) the field is still visible, just disabled. Am I doing something dumb (likely) or is there a simple way to actually hide rather than disable the field if the user doesn't have permission to complete it? I can see that there is value in having fields as visible but read only (and have used that for things like Calc values) so I guess I am looking for both features but can't see how to implement.

Many thanks for help in advance. I asked a similar question in January but didn't get any responses, so would be grateful for any help.

If add/edit access level (in element access) is set "above" the current user the element will be shown readonly.
Set details access "above" to hide completly.

Hi Troester,

Thanks for this - it works, so obviously it was just me being dumb! It's slightly counter-intuitive but probably logical - I was thinking of these access levels simply relating to how the form was being viewed (i.e. for data input or viewing existing records) but now its possible to see that Details actually affects the visibility in both cases - that might help me in other situations where I've used different tactics... Now I need to work how I can hide something in Add / Edit view and show it in Details view.

Appreciate your help, as always.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back