Usergroup vs Access plugin

achartier

Administrator
Staff member
I understand from another thread that in F3 the Access plugin has been replaced with the Usergroup plugin. As I see the Usergroup plugin I am not sure it will work for what I want to do.

My goal is to provide a dropdown list of user groups to allow a selection. When the form is submitted the selected usergroup will be available to the form submit functions.

The Access element looked like it was going to do the job for me, and as I was looking at integrating it I discovered the thread about its deprecation. Having now switched over to the Usergroup element the result is not what I am looking for at all.

Should I be using one of these or should I create a dropdown and populate it myself with the available groups? Or something else?

If the question is whether you can populate a drop-down list with available jos_usergroup records, then the answer is yes and I do this all the time without a special plug-in... just a dbjoin plug-in rendered as 'Drop down'. I even filter it with the filter settings to avoid having groups like 'SuperUser" available to users.

Yes, that is the default option if nothing else works.

When I looked at the Access element it seemed to be perfect because the groups showed parent/child relationships so when the user made a selection they would see what parents would also get included.

I was hoping the usergroup element would offer the same capability.

Have you played with this:

1) Create a new list called jos_usergroups that points to jos_usergroups
2) Make sure it does not update and that it's 'options' don't allow structure changes to jos_usergroups
3) Adjust elements produces to be included/not included in list view (to suit your tastes)
4) Allow ordering and/or filtering to suite your tastes
5) In the dbjoin element, set the properties:
popUpForm = jos_usergroups
frontEndSelect=Yes

Now, on the form of your table, next to the 'dbjoin' element, there should be a magifying glass icon. Click on it and you should see your list of usergroups. You can set a filter if you wish and users and browse seeing all of the fields. You might have to create a special join to see parent 'names' instead of parent ids but you can twiddle with it until you see what you want and don't want.

The only problem I'm having this this in F3 is that I have to have view_list and view_records properties in my jos_usergroups list set to 'public' otherwise an error indicating I don't have authorization is presented in my Ajax pop.
-BD

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back