viewing row details in tooltip when hovering over a list item.

skyrun

pretty sure this is something to implement myself in a template , but wondering if fabrik has a plugin or element or list option that i don't know about that would show the details for a row (in a small font) when you hover over each line in a list. or alternatively a button or link or something to click on and quickly show details in a pop-up over the list.

i have a use-case for a short list but it has 20 columns where i would like to be able to see all of the info quickly as i scroll up or down to find the item i need in the list using more than is easily displayed in a row.

if not, i'll get to work on the template .js

You can use one of your elements in the list:
Add a tooltip with placeholders of the elements you want to show in your popup, set "Show tips in list view".

Actually... upon further review, the formatting of any multi-select flavor elements (like checkboxes, or database joins or tags) is poor/not what i expected in a tooltip (or a calc element either for that matter). both give the values (not the labels) and also shows the 'glue' which differs... so could be ["choice1","choice2"] or choice1//..*..//choice2 depending on the type of element.

so neither of these workarounds to show list data (tooltips or calc elements) seem to work to display the data formatted as it is in other places in the list if i turn that column on.

with calc, i could figure out the type and json_decode (*but it gives a syntax error unless i change ["choice1","choice2"] to {"something":["choice1","choice2"]} first) and then explode on //..*..// and then lookup the labels for the value (in the jos_fabrik_elements table or hard code the choices in a lookup array) but... wow...

so i'm back to the best (only?) way to do this is a custom template that takes the fabrik generated output for the list and manipulates it in the template to show the way i would like for it to. which is what a custom template is for.

but some of this sort of thing (button elements that work on forms but not lists being another) seem like something fabrik should consider being able to do in future releases without resorting to a custom template.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back