Event undefined in Internet Explorer

margarett

Hi all.

I set up the most simple form you can imagine :p

2 "field" inputs, a text area, a database join as drop-down (now unpublished, but it makes no difference) and a file upload element as a repeatable group.

I have no verifications (yet), no custom code, nothing.

All of this on top of a fresh J! 3.03 and with latest (355) github update.

My form works fine in Firefox but, in my company, we are enforced to use IE 8 as standard (because of other internal applications).

When I open my very simple form in IE I have the following issues:
- it takes some time to load (more than in FF),
- there is a big delay when clicking between fields (the browser "freezes")
- the "star" of the required fields is not shown
- the "plus" and "minus" icons on the repeatable group are not shown
- I get a javascript error (exclamation mark in the lower left corner) with the following details (some free translation included):

Agente do Utilizador: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
Date/time stamp: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 13:34:36 UTC

Line: 46
Char: 1
code: 0
URL: http://intranet/docuportal/media/com_fabrik/js/lib/Event.mock.js
What I also discovered was that IE has those "delays" working in all J! interface. Going to administration brings the mentioned delays no matter what I am accessing, so I assume the slowliness it's not related to Fabrik.
Anyway, the Javascript error is only indicated within the Fabrik form/list.

I did some more tests and:
- the same warning is shown in list view, even in a list with no records
- the error occurs both in back end and front end
- the error occurs also with J! debug mode

Any idea why this happens? I searched the 3.1 boards for "mock" but I got no results...

Thanks
Bruno

Problem solved. Sorry, dumb me...

It seems that my IE opens intranet websites in compatibility mode by default. When I found this, I disabled that option and immediately the JS errors are gone.
Now I just need to solve the terrible page behavior, that freezes in every click I do...

If someone has spare 5 minutes and wants to help me here I really appreciate...

I know that IE8 doesn't support HTML5. But, apart from that, the pages should work. Today I installed 3 versions of J!3 in 3 different servers (plus my existing localhost), both Windows and Linux and the result is always the same: it's impossible to navigate any part of Joomla that has some inputs (like Global Configuration) and the browser freezes for several seconds. It's not even related to Fabrik, I know, but I am trying also J! support boards...
I did yet another installation, J!2.5 and this one works fine. Am I forced to use this version?

5 minutes, anyone? :confused:

It seems to be just a IE issue with J!, but maybe someone can shed a light here? If nothing else, just to confirm my issues and clearly state that I need to use another version...
Thanks!

Hi all.

After some further debug, I give up. I installed J! 3.0.2 and J! 3.1.0 beta5 and both have the same behavior with IE8.
I would expect others have the same problems as I do, but it seems not. Anyway, I will continue developing my intranet-kind-of-thing with FF. Couldn't care less about IE :p

You'd probably be better off spending your time lobbying your client to walk into this decade in terms of the browser they "must" use.
Any company refusing to let go of IE8, or embracing software that is no longer supported by anything other than IE8, doesn't deserve your expertise.

But hey, that's just me. I just hate seeing well-intended people like you wasting time with clients who are so stuck in the mud.:(

Thanks ;)
Anyway, J! states IE8 as a supported browser, that's why I was asking for help. But the support on their forums is close to none.
At some point I thought that was a local problem (something caused by my computer) but then I tried with different computers, "clean" installations, different servers, different Internet access points and it always behaves the same. It would be a very, very long shot that it happens only to me...

But yes, you are right. It's really time to enter this decade :)
Thanks
Bruno

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back