One form, Multiple Lists

vondie

I am new to Fabrik and have created a simple Contact Us with it. Very happy with the outcome and how simple it was to create.

I am now moving on to my next, more complicated task which is a salesperson locater. I'm struggling to understand the best design approach to implementing it and hope to get some input from the experts here.

My goal is to use a single dropdown that is populated from a table (which I have easily accomplished with a database join) which contains area information like US states or Canadian provinces. I then want to be able to filter the results of three separate lists 1) list of factory sales person(s), 2) list of representative(s) and 3) list of distributor(s)). Each list group data is unique, but they all have the same primary key which is the area id from the area dropdown. basically all three lists will only show the results that match the selected area from the dropdown.

So, I'm guessing I need three separate lists that can somehow be connected to a single form with the area dropdown. I have been trying to prototype the basic layout, but so far I have not been able to figure out how to bridge the gap between a form and a list, let alone three lists.

Any help getting this started would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

I will look at the cascading dropdown element in more detail, but the final data that needs to be displayed is more than one field wide, which I would think a list would be more appropriate. It will include the sales persons name, address, phone, email which exists in unique columns of a table. Not sure if I can connect a cascading dropdown to a list output or am I limited to only cascading to another dropdown?

Ok - why not simply use a database join concept. Take the first list as the master list, then use List database join technique on the remaining two lists. In other words, you will then end up with three joined lists.

Then use the list filtering facilities. That should produce the desired result.

Alastair

Interesting idea. I think I can make that work. When using the list filtering, is it possible to populate the search field as a dropdown and then auto populate like I would using a form element databasejoin?

I think you need to implement what I have suggested first. Then evaluate the search features available. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what you can achieve - perhaps in a somewhat different manner to what you originally envisaged.

Alastair

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back